Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking Opal 670 >

Viking Opal 670

Viking Opal 670

Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 AM

Default Viking Opal 670

When I use my free motion quilting foot the machine makes such a clanking noise its embarrassing when I use it in a class. I've had it checked several times by my local dealers and they could not find any issues. It looks like the quilting foot is hitting something metal when stitching. All the other feet sew fine and the machine just purrs along. Has anyone else had this issue????? I purchased this machine because it had all the features my bigger machine has and its smaller and lighter to take to sewdays and classes. I am an art quilter and primarily use the free motion foot on all my projects. I'm very frustrated because I really like this machine!!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Hi & Welcome to the board. Which foot are you using? Viking has a couple of feet that can be used for FMQ. One is a spring loaded hopping foot, another is more like a darning foot. The spring loaded foot can be tricky to install, so double check that. Also, on my machines (I have 3 different model Vikings) there's a specific setting you need to use with that foot.
If you still have the packaging for the foot, double check that it's the correct one for your machine. Viking has a couple different machine lines and sometimes the feet are not compatible
Which needle plate are you using? The single hole or the zigzag? If it's the single hole & you are moving the fabric too quickly you may be deflecting the needle.
Finally, unthread the machine & run it without fabric. If it's still making the noise, I would bring it back to the dealer and let them hear it. It should not be doing this and I would sure be hesitant to continue to use a machine that sounds like metal is hitting metal.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

I also have Viking machines, and if I were you, I would go to the FMQ instructions in your manual and read every line, choices of feet, and if any settings need to be checked or unchecked in your machine settings. I do know that also, the walking foot may require a pressure foot adjustment which is stated in the instructions with that particular foot.