Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking Problems >

Viking Problems

Viking Problems

Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM

There are a variety of issues. The lever on the far left that houses the thread keeps popping out of the slot. The machine is very smart and knows that it is not threaded correctly so it doesn't sew a stitch. The decorative stitching is inconsistent but have been told that the motor and panel have been plugged up with debris from too much use! So if I keep this machine, I guess I have to choose my projects carefully & how many I make if I want the machine to perform like a $2500 machine.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM

I truly think it's a lemon too. I have thought that for a long time.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

I think you need to be real firm with your dealer. "Sewing too much" is not an excuse for a $2500 machine.

For what it's worth, there are happy Sapphire owners, who use the machine every day. Part of their success is due to training and support from their dealer.

Janet
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I have to agree. It sounds like your dealer doesn't want to have to replace your machine. Too much sewing.........if we didn't sew a lot why would we need a machine. Makes no sense to me. Maybe you can contact the company.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 PM

I plan to contact Viking directly. Seems as though the dealer wants to state all of the problems are mine. Picked it up, won't sew on it - want to sell it - I want out. It's funny that when I bought it I was really lucky that day - the last one in the shop! Silly me, bought one with an open box. Sales person said "all the vikings come off the truck like that" - inexperienced sales personnel.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM

I have had a Viking #1 (not #1+)since '94. Paid $1900 for it. It's been repaired 4 times. The first time about $100, the 2nd time, over $500. The 3rd time $100. It's in the shop now waiting for a belt and that will run about $120.
Most of the time I've owned it, I haven't been sewing that much because of job, family, etc., so it hasn't been really used that much.

I am now sewing on a almost 30 year old Kenmore. I guess that speaks for itself. Not more Vikings for me.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM

I had a Viking that would not stay on the selected stitch; Went back and forth with the dealer for about 6 months, wrote to Minnesota and finally got my money back and returned the machine.

Never another viking for me-got an Elna that was a workhorse for many years, worked and worked and worked. Now am using a Brother QC 1000 and a Babylock Elegante 2. Oh, and a Singer Featherweight. Love them all.

Good luck and I hope you get the results you want and a machine that will work for you.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 AM

I have a Viking Sapphire and love it. No problems at all.
Sounds like you got a lemon, which can happen with any brand. Push for a refund or replacment.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Too late now. Since I wasn't using it much, the problems took a while to surface.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM

I have the Viking 830 and sew daily. I've put decorative stitches in denim and it didn't skip.
You got a lemon. Give your dealer one last shot at replacing your machine; if he/she won't, contact Viking directly. They will not put up with a dealer who can't satisfy customers and gives all Viking machines a bad name. Companies know that word-of-mouth sells products and your problems would prevent others from buying them.
You've probably been very nice to your dealer but it's time to get "down and dirty" and demand satifaction-you've been more than patient. That's too much money and time wasted.
Good luck and let us know what happens!!