Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage and antique quilts >

Vintage and antique quilts

Vintage and antique quilts

Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Vintage and antique quilts

So, it has been a sad couple of months. I have lost two friends and mentors. My husband teases me that all my friends are two or three times my age, but that's what happens when you're a thirty something quilter wanting to learn from more experienced quilters. His grandmother and a close family friend (both in their 90s) passed recently, and I inherited ALL of their quilting things. Many are tools that they found helpful, and I have no idea what they are for, but I also inherited projects in the middle and some great vintage and antique quilts.
My main questions are about the quilts. I know you should store them in pillowcases, but I am of the mind that they should be used. Yes they are works of art, but they were meant to be used. A couple are more recent, but some are from the 20s and 30s, and one seems much older. They are almost 100 years old. Would it hurt them to be hung over hangers in the closet, and how can I launder them?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think that hanging them over hangars will put stress on fabric and thread and may cause disintegration in some areas. I always roll mine into pillowcases and take them out and re-roll them in a different direction every few months. I've read that the best storage is to layer them onto a spare bed, one on top of another.

I'm also interested in laundering methods.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM

I would not put them in a washer that agitates. The newer machines that roll back and forth would be much better, in cool water and a gentle detergent. I would dry them in the dryer on a low or air only cycle.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Yes, I am wanting to learn more about quilt care too. Have received some of mine back to repair and I do believe it is the fact that they are washed wrong although I am stingy with my 1/4 inch seam. That is a good suggestion for you, don't be stingy with that seam. Better to have it too big than too narrow. Comes out too easy. I also tell people, don't dry them in a dryer till dry. Just run it on gentle for a few minutes, get wrinkles out and hairs off then hang over a clothing rack to finish drying. I have a large antique wooden clothes dryer rack I use. No sunshine, that drains the colors.
Unless you clothes lines are in the shade not too good to hang outside. The antique ones I would be especially carefull. That tip about pillow cases, or layering them on a spare bed sounds good. Quilt racks are good too. Fold them gently and lay them over a quilt rack. That is what they are for, less use, less wear. Lay on bed during the day and quilt rack at night so they don't have to be washed as much. I know lots of good ideas will be coming your way from other members on this board. They are pretty good at it.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Older quilts of the age you are discribing would be best washed by soaking in the tub with a very mild soap made for this purpose.

First put a liner sheet in the bottom of the tub. this will help to trasnport the wet quilt later. It will be heavy and it is best not to directly pick up a wet quilt. Fold the quilt either lengthwise a couple of times or widthwise and lay it in the tub on top of the sheet. Don't agetate the fabrics. Gently swish the water around the quilt and let it soak.

To rinse the quilt empty the tub and keep re filling it and gently press the water out each time untill the water runs clear.

Now you want to gently press as much water out of the quilt as you can. While the excess water is draining take a few old sheets outside and spread them out in a partial shady/ sunny spot in the the grass (or driveway if you have to). Not direct sun.

Now transport the quilt in the sheet sling out side to the place you laid the sheets at and lay the quilt out for a good day in the fresh air to dry. After a few hours flip the quilt to the other side for a few more hours.

A slightly breezy day with sun/ shade is the best !

When dry store them in pillow cases and switch them out on a bed when ever you feel like it. That way you can enjoy them all the time.

What a great gift you have received.
peace
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM

When I was at the Desmoines show I saw quilt display cases that were just stunning. I wish I had his business card.

They were mostly glass but the frame was Oak. Glass sides so you could see the quilts. Some were about 4' tall with a 2' x 2' foot print and the quilts were folded and displayed stacked - or some were folded at the bottom and one was hanging across a rod at the top. Some had curved glass tops, some with cut/leaded glass. Some were longer chests. they were all stunning and beautifully crafted.

ah ha!! Found it!!

http://www.quiltcurio.com/
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM

I wonder if a regular curio cabinet would work? I think it would....and would be a good way to keep dust free and be visible.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Don't take "just anyone's" opinion; check out this information from the Quilt Alliance for how-to's from the experts.
http://www.allianceforamericanquilts...quiltquery.php

Jan in VA
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM

I agree with SuperJan. Not that there's anything wrong with the advice given here on the board, but it can't hurt to find out what the experts recommend, also.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 AM

Good info, thanks Jan.