Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Vintage hand pieced one inch squares >
  • Vintage hand pieced one inch squares

• Vintage hand pieced one inch squares

Old 02-21-2020, 05:04 AM

Default Vintage hand pieced one inch squares

Hello. I have these vintage hand pieced blocks and don't know what to do with them. Are they some kind of Irish Chain? How do I fill in the blank squares? I was hoping someone on this board could make some suggestions. There are enough to make a bed runner but not a whole quilt. Thank you for any ideas.

Last edited by MarbleCreek; 02-21-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    Old 02-21-2020, 06:34 AM

can you post a picture of them....I am confused by the "blank squares"
    Old 02-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Thank you for your reply. Until I learn how to post the photos I don't think anyone will understand my question. I have tried to post the pictures but I'm not having luck. I have viewed Irish Chain quilts and each one has a center (usually white) with the 'chains' around the center block.
    Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

If it looks like you could do an Irish Chain, then look for a fabric to do the large squares that kind of match. A natural muslin might work or look at the wrong sides of fabric, sometimes the wrong side will give the muted antique like look you want. Good Luck!
    Old 02-21-2020, 03:35 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

These instructions may help in attaching pictures:

Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)
    Old 02-22-2020, 07:47 AM

The help section covers a lot of different problems. My problems are slightly old technology, I use an actual camera and not a smart phone. I have a lot of restrictions on my computer as well, but my primary problem is that my picture file size is too large.

I use this site here (no affiliations) because it is simple and doesn't set off my virus scanners:
    https://www.reduceimages.com/

I use the defaults they provide and download there, uploading here.

I minimize my main internet window, which I've preset by now to a size that is about half the screen. My file manager screen comes up above that, I simply drag the picture from my camera to the box at the reduce image site. Again, remember to download not just resize.

When you get to the attach screen and have the option to browse you should have one at the top already defaulted to your download directory and there you go! Once here it took my far longer than you would think to realize the attach screen is incorrectly shaped. You have to widen it out to a horizontal format (it comes up in a vertical) to get the Upload button.

Edit: I have vision issues and have made things to default in my file manager so if they are pictures they show me a small image, not just the file name. That saves a lot of clicking!