Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Machine Charm >

Vintage Machine Charm

Vintage Machine Charm

Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Lately I have seen several posts asking what the interest is in vintage machines so I thought I’d share my point of view.
As I have shared before my husband and I work with vintage machines. Now depending on the listener they either get excited or their eyes glass over when we explain what we do.
Below is a photo of a Peacock feather I did on a Husqvarna Viking 21 from the 1950’s which my husband just listed on Ebay ( just when I fell in love with yet another machine). This is just one example of what is so appealing about these vintage machines. I am continually impressed with the durability and quality of vintage machines ( not to mention their smooth running sound). This appliqué was done with a simple zigzag and adjusting the width as I sewed. The huge extension bed is like gliding over glass as you turn and pivot the fabric. And the free arm, wow!- on plastic bodied machines the free arm tends to be somewhat bulky, on the Husqvarna Viking 21 it is perfect for even doing sleeves on an heirloom baby gown. For those of you who have noticed the buckle affect to the appliqué I planned that- right, no, I actually was so impressed with how smoothly the machine handled even a very fine metallic embroider thread I forgot to hoop the project. We also go through the effort of videotaping the machine in use and doing a walkthrough of it so people can really see what a machine like that can do. Frankly some of those machines are pretty daunting when you look at all the knobs but in reality they are amazing.
With the skills many of you have I’m sure you could do something even more extraordinary. I love to continuously do new things so each machine and each sew off is different. It’s been a great way to turn my notebook full of doodles into something nice- which is shipped out with the machine to the buyer. It’s like drawing only with fabric, thread, and a machine!

appligue peacock feather 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196525[/ATTACH]

applique peacock feather 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196526[/ATTACH]

applique peacock feather and machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196527[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196519.jpe   attachment-196520.jpe   attachment-196521.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM

What a beauty!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

I too am a lover of vintage sewing machines, and I love the work you are showing here done on that machine. It's great!! I haven't sewed a whole lot on my Singer 301 yet, as I had some issues with tension, and then realized I had a whole lot more oiling to do before she would sew like she is supposed to. Anyway, I am going to take time with her soon to be sure I understand her completely. I really do love them....they are so much better for basic work than the modern plastic machines.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I too am a lover of vintage sewing machines, and I love the work you are showing here done on that machine. It's great!! I haven't sewed a whole lot on my Singer 301 yet, as I had some issues with tension, and then realized I had a whole lot more oiling to do before she would sew like she is supposed to. Anyway, I am going to take time with her soon to be sure I understand her completely. I really do love them....they are so much better for basic work than the modern plastic machines.
Here
is a little trick we picked up somewhere for tension. Take a thread and tie a series of knots in it then slid it back and forth through the tension wheels to clean them. Also try completely loosening tension setting and work down- on some machines we do the opposite and go tight then loosen till we hit the correct setting. Since most Singers have 3 discs in the tension wheel people often miss the correct ones and think they have trouble. Also the 301 treads right to left like the Featherweight, flat side of needle faces left- So does the Singer 15-91