Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage (older) quilts

Vintage (older) quilts

Good Morning, All. I have purchased a vintage quilt that is in need of repairs. I understand for blocks/pieces in the middle, I will need to applique a similar piece over the piece to be repaired. Any other tips on repairing (not heirloom quality but to make the quilt usable). Also I have a quilt that appears to be over an even older quilt. Would you take it apart to see what is under?? Thanks for any advice.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I am currently replacing the binding from an old quilt-not heirloom. Am choosing similar fabric to the original. Have also had to applique over worn pieces in the blocks. Since I'm not replacing the back or batt I am simulating the quilting in the replaced pieces by going through the top and some batt but not into the backing. It is working and looks good. It is all hand quilted.
    jackie

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    I am currently replacing the binding from an old quilt-not heirloom. Am choosing similar fabric to the original. Have also had to applique over worn pieces in the blocks. Since I'm not replacing the back or batt I am simulating the quilting in the replaced pieces by going through the top and some batt but not into the backing. It is working and looks good. It is all hand quilted.
    This is exactly what I do when I repair my old quilt that is on my bed.