Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virgin Quilter >

Virgin Quilter

Virgin Quilter

Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM

A T-shirt quilt is very tough for a new quilter. Find someone who knows about quilting and ask them to assist you or at least to be available for questions. One bit of advice I give to folks doing a T-shirt quilt is to look at it in stages rather than the whole quilt. First, lay out the shirts and get an idea of what you want to do (this may change over time). Then, rest, then stabilize the shirts and cut out the pieces (include generous seam allowances at this point). Then, at a later date, start looking at how they will be laid out. Doing it in stages may help you from feeling overwhelmed and let you build your confidence. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM

You will definitely be able to do the jersey quilt as a beginner, but maybe not as your first quilt. You will be dealing with stretch and stabilizers which are not hard to work with after you know a thing or two about quilting, but you may wish to do a basic quilt in a small size (I saw the word "huge" in your message) with regular cotton fabrics to begin with. This will teach you some basics. "Huge" and "stretch" is only one quilt away
Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I personally have never made a T-shirt quilt, however, a friend of mine has made 5-6 and she ALWAYS uses stabilizer because of the stretch in the T-shirt.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 AM

Just to add my 2 cents worth, this is indeed the greatest Quilting Board. There are so many fantastic ladies who are such a help with any question. If you want more detail, you can click on their name and do a PM (Personal Message) to them. I have a sweet gal even in New Zealand who has become an e-mail friend through her advice on a particular pattern.

I have made several t-shirt quilts for my grandchildren (from their various sports' activities) and you definitely want to wash the t-shirts first; then cut off the neck and arm areas which will give you a flat piece (from the front and back) and then iron on the stabilizer prior to cutting the block size you plan to use. If you search for "Ayden's Quilt" on this Board, you will find a wonderful pattern for a t-shirt quilt; in my opinion the best there is. It gives almost a 3-D affect and it is really easy. The "creator" of the quilt was so helpful with her explanation which included pictures. If you have trouble finding the site, please e-mail me or PM me. [email protected]. You have made a wonderful decision to start quilting and to join this Board.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
A T-shirt quilt is very tough for a new quilter. Find someone who knows about quilting and ask them to assist you or at least to be available for questions. One bit of advice I give to folks doing a T-shirt quilt is to look at it in stages rather than the whole quilt. First, lay out the shirts and get an idea of what you want to do (this may change over time). Then, rest, then stabilize the shirts and cut out the pieces (include generous seam allowances at this point). Then, at a later date, start looking at how they will be laid out. Doing it in stages may help you from feeling overwhelmed and let you build your confidence. Good luck!
I would not recommend a t-shirt quilt for a first project. But, if you really want to try it, make yourself a small sample quilt using old t-shirts. It will give you an idea on how the fabric moves and how it comes together. I recommend using your walking foot on all stages of construction. Also look on u/t for instructions. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Definitely use iron stabilizer on cotton shirt fabric (be careful with "technical" fabric shirts...use lower temp on iron) you can get it in packages &/or in bulk at Jo-Ann Stores - here are a few I did for charity quilts to give you some ideas on using boarders to separate shirt colors that may be similar
Attached Thumbnails cimg0009.jpg   red-cross-t-shirt-quilt-4.jpg