Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Quilt Retreat - April Edition 4-19-13

Emma, it was the most handy ruler and I figured it would show up well. I live just south of Minneapolis, farther north got up to 22 inches! I can't wait to get off work and start sewing.

Dede: Admire that your not letting the weather get you down. Drive carefully.

Blog Entries
    OMG more snow! thank goodness we dont have any here. However we do have a lunatic bomber running loose....sigh, crazy week....

Carolyn: I'd rather have the snow.

Blog Entries
    Carolyn, you amaze me. Hope you have Fridays off. You must be younger because I certainly couldn't pull off the week you have just pulled off.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Ok, i'm starting on this project, let the fun begin. Emma! I love those fabrics you chose, going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see some finished totes.
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

Carolyn, I think this method of delivering the instructions is just fine. I'd never used Google docs before and so didn't know I had to download and couldn't just save. But going to "file" in the upper left corner, then to download, worked great.
    Being a rebel, I decided not to do the crosshatching stitching, but used FMQ as I'm trying to teach myself loop de loops. Plus I felt the fabric I used leaned more towards circles than squares. I'm planning on making another and will use a different fabric and do the crosshatch pattern on it. Here's where I am at present:
    Name:  Retreat tote.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  234.3 KB

Now off to make the handles.

Another fabulous project. I'm going to save it, but finish the ones I have started first.

Blog Entries
    Belfry, am so glad you opted to go with loop-d-loops that fabric just screamed for it. If you have a babylock/brother sewing machine (for sure they have it) some of the others may have it too, but there is a serpentine stitch with loops in the middle of the s curves. That would look darling on the handles and match your quilting.

I did forget to write it in these instructions, but PLEASE never let instructions get in the way of your creativity! Enjoy!

Would love to see where everyone is right now cause I am a picture hound. I just got up from a nap and am about to run up to my sewing room and tinker with some diamond blocks for a quilt since I already made a bag....lol, I suppose I can post some photos of them too

And yes I have every other friday off, thankfully! or I would not have been able to do this. I made a promise to you ladies so I did what needed to be done to fulfill that promise to the best of my abilities. Just the way I was raised. I think since my LA will be delivered early next month, I may just cheat and pick a free online project for us to do. One that has instructions already done we'll see. If you have ideas or something really neat that you think would be a great project, please PM me.

Thanks, Carolyn. I figured the worst that would happen is I'd be put in the corner with a dunce cap on my head.
    My Janome does not have the stitch you mention, but it did have a serpentine with a small flower in it. Not sure it will show up here as I used matching thread, but it does show up in "real life". I'm taking a break and will try to figure out the zipper closure next.
    Name:  Retreat tote.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  220.3 KB

I've been sewing along this afternoon. Here is my bag so far. I have to admit, i skipped the feet (I did buy them). I have a hole puncher thingy, but can't find it at this moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lynda Rae

Blog Entries
    OMG! your bags look so adorable! I love them! Sapphire, If i did this bag a 2nd time I would skip the feet personally. The way I use this bag didnt require feet. So dont worry. We can always do another bag with feet....

Here is what I have been working on, since I dont need another bag

Name:  IMG_04911_zps313b9294.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  89.5 KB
    Last edited by CarolynMT; 04-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Hello Retreat Pals, Saturday morning here. Just checked in to see what's going on. You ladies are doing so well and I love your fabric choices - all so different. Will put up a piccie of mine today - black/white/red.

That snow Dedemac!!! And the ruler - love it!

Carolyn, I think you are incredible. Again, thank you so much for all your hard work. Hope you had a restful night.
    Mary B

Just wanted to let you know that I did open and save it as .pdf, so it is working for some of us. It was a little different looking, but it downloaded just like it should. Thank you so much.
    Susan

Banned
    I also would like instructions, but will be out of town for this.

Those diamond blocks are really striking. The quilt is going to be amazing!

Your bags are really fun. Even if some of us are having snow, those are a breath of spring.

Really like the diamond blocks, that quilt is going to be amazing.
    Love the bags, really a breath of spring. Sorry Myra, I know you are just finishing a hot summer, but per the snow, you can tell how welcome warm weather will be.

Sorry about the double post. Something strange happened to my computer and I thought the first went to la la land.

Blog Entries
    Belfry, love your tote so far.

Sapphire, wow on your fancy stitching.

Carolyn, I love your diamonds. Your colors are right up my alley.

Just got home from being in town all day. Stopped by JoAnn's to pick up some fabric that I thought would go better with my main fabric. Have to wash and dry the fabric so I might as well take a little nap. Then, I will post some photos. I also love to see everyone's photos so I better load mine on here.

PS: Emma my computer did a strange thing when I went to post this post. Wonder if it isn't our computers?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Finished! Might do a normal sized one over the weekend.
    Name:  IMG_2140.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  586.4 KB
    Made a pocket on the outside, didn't do fancy stitching as I was super short on green thread.
    Name:  IMG_2141.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  612.4 KB
    The inside lining with pockets for shopping for my mother in law.
    Name:  IMG_2144.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  631.7 KB
    Here's what I have to shop for...wine...EWEEEEEEEEEE
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

NICE, Tracy! I like the colors and I could use that one with all those pockets, i like wine.

Thank you Carolyn for all your work putting this together.
    Lynda Rae

Wow -- lovely bags everyone.
    Sew-traci, how tall did you make the main portion of your shopping bag. I'm doing the current one the size recommended, but would love to do a couple of market sized ones. And I love your bottle holders -- what a marvellous idea!

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    22 inches.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Done enough for today; tab, pocket, lining tomorrow.

Here's the fabric and progress so far on my bag. Its seems to want to be a handbag, so I think I might stay with black and white and leave out the red. Only need to cut a new black lining.

I had one minor glitch, which slowed things down a bit. The stitch I chose for the quilting was too dense and just didn't want to behave itself, so I had to start again with one main piece. We live and learn.

Am very impressed with the work I've seen so far here and can't wait to see more. Great stuff ladies.Attachment 409051Attachment 409052Name:  Tote Bag Outside.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  153.9 KB
    Mary B

Hi ladies. Your blue/yellow tote caught my eye and I just had to follow this thread. I don't have time at the moment but I have printed out your very clear instructions and will make this later.

All your fabric choices are beautiful and your totes are looking great.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast