Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend--10/6-10/9/17 >

Virtual quilting weekend--10/6-10/9/17

Virtual quilting weekend--10/6-10/9/17

Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Okay, I decided not to go to the car show today. Too far to drive thru too much traffic. I'll be working on the dog quilt I started pp'ing better than 10 years ago. It was the 2nd quilt I'd made. Boy, did i go some bad work. I decided to fix as many blocks as I could and put it together for a snuggle quilt for the dogs and I. I'll post pics after I go upstairs.

Beautiful quilts everyone!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Kelly - love the colors on that sunshine quilt.

Looking at Battle Axe's quilt makes me want to put what I'm working on aside and work on a sampler. My first real quilt was a brown tone sampler. It was king size and hand quilted. It was for my bed, but no idea what happened to it over the years. DH and I had only been married a couple of years at that time. I made it while living with my parents while he was in Basic Training.

30+ years later after my Mom passed, my siblings found a candy box with my name on it. Inside was the patterns I'd designed and used for the blocks! I did not know my Mom had saved it - and now I have it so plan on making another some day (but this won't be hand quilted).

Yesterday I got the two Cottage Romance floppies done.
Queen

Baby size.

And this AM started working on the Snake River quilt.

After breakfast I figured I should do something about the two buckets of apples - got them pealed and ringed and 50 of them into the dehydrator.

Had enough left for a batch of apple crisp,

so DH won't feel I'm ignoring him too much while I spend the rest of the weekend sewing!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:39 AM

DD (30 yr old) just sent her Dad a text picture -she's got a silly grin and is holder her left hand up to her face. DH did not understand until I held my left hand up to my face - then he figured it out LOL!!

We've been expecting this, they'd picked out the ring a while ago but he had not officially asked yet. DD's kind of old fashioned and wanted him to ask her Dad for her hand - which he did a few days ago. DH asked my father for my hand (but I was only 17) and DD always thought that was romantic.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Oh my! Everyone is has so much going on, I don't know where to start! Macybaby- already a finish and another quilt being worked on! your energy amazes me! and I would like a piece of that apple crisp if you could send me a virtual slice. Sewbizgirl- very cool idea to do a "key" on the back of your quilt--and your joins look fantastic, you can't tell that it's QAYG--they look like pieced sashing! Tallchick- that is spectacular! I love the combination of cool grays, blue, black and white. Midwife- very nice modern quilt the meander quilting provides just the right contrast with the hard edges and sharp corners of the squares and rectangles. Battle Axe- I can see why you were impatient to see it put together- neat design! Kelly- I like those bright colors, very cheery, nice idea to do something for hurricane relief! Sync- as always, your appliqué and quilting are beautifully done-- and that penguin is going to be so cute. And Zozee- great start on your Log cabin--looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.

No sewing for me yesterday as I was at the Fredericksburg Sewing Expo all day-what a treat, seeing (and playing with) all the neat machines, and sit down quilters! There were some incredible art quilts as well which we weren't allowed to photograph. All in all a fun day and I came home with lots of good information on machines. Many thanks to Innov8R for the ticket!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:11 AM

Wow, look at all the beautiful projects everyone is working on!

Macybaby- love,love, your tops, and your stash is amazing!

NZ quilter- Trip is on my bucket list and I can’t wait to see yours, I love the colors you chose as they are similar to the ones I want to use for mine, so please share when you’re done.

Midwife- I love how soothing and pretty your quilt is, is there a pattern for it? Love your quilting too!

Sewbiz Girl -I love your sampler and colorway.

Zozee- Your log cabin is going to be so pretty when your done, it’s one of my favorite quilts to make and I can’t to see when your done!

Battle Axe - love the colors you chose are they a recent line or older? The pattern for my quilt is called Asteria by Tiffany Hayes. It’s actually a Craftsy class called 4 Fabrics one amazing quilt, you can buy the pattern on her website too. IMHO you don’t need her specialized ruler to do the quilt, I only used mine a few times, and I will make it again.

Kelly Y- I love the colors you chose, what size will it be when your done? I really think the textures in the yellow really make it stand out,can’t wait I see it when your done!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Rob, thank you for the nice compliments on my QAYG sashing. If I get it right, that sashing lays flat. If I get it wrong, it ends up heaped up in a little speed bump. Trying to avoid any speed bumps... I posted a tute on joining that way in the tutes section, if you haven't seen it:

Quilt As You Go (QAYG) Tutorial Loads of pictures to make it easy to follow.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Cathy, two pretty quilt tops and another started! Love the colors in those first two.

The apple look great too. Especially the cobbler! Yeah, your hubby can hardly complain when you have left him fresh cobbler to survive on while you sew.

Big congrats on your daughter's engagement!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Started way too early this A.M. sample/experiment sewing with some new stencils, will be nice to know which ones will be user friendly, moved on to hopefully finishing a Christmas centerpiece getting the binding made and on, ready to hand sew which was my goal to do while my favorite college football team plays and airs on TV. Go Hawks!!
I used a Moda "Holiday Medley" Kansas Troubles charm pack, a simple patchwork top and a Moda Christmas Alphabet panel for backing, the back is cuter than the front. Lol!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Congratulations on your daughter's engagement, Cathy!! Such happy news!!

You are all so busy! Wow, Cathy how do you have the energy to bake and sew two entire tops at the same time!

Sewbizgirl, I love your friendship quilt and your idea for a label. So creative! What pen did you use to draw it?

Such cheerful colors, Kelly Y. That quilt will surely make someone happy.

Battle axe, I love how your BOW is going! My first quilt was a lap size sampler. I want to make another one day, but probably do a queen size this time.

I haven't been able to sew much today, except I did manage to find time to mark another two rows of baptist fan quilting design on my quilt and quilt one row.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the kind compliments. This brown sampler is from "Better by the Dozen" by Susan Teegarden Dissmore. It only has 12 blocks and I wanted to put it in a setting like the Rest and Refreshing BOW was by Debbie Thompson McInnis. So I thought I was real smart and took one block and tried to cross the busy highway with it. I will have to go back to Better by the Dozen and just make 5 more blocks using different fabric.

These colors are not a line, although I ususally just use one line. These are just things I liked at the LQS. (Stores) I support them all.

That is so cool that your mom kept those patterns. Lucky DH getting that whole apple crisp, now I want one.

My neighbor and I inventoried the dahlias (I had 75 in the plot that I grow for show.) Then she invited me to eat Chineses in payback for fixing her sewing machine. All of that activity required a nap.