Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/15-2/18/19 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/15-2/18/19

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/15-2/18/19

Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM

I got quite a bit done yesterday, although nothing really to show. Turns out I have less Y2K squares than I thought, at some point I sorted them into colors and removed the duplicates and signature squares (where are those signature squares??) and my note said 720 squares which is enough for the blocks but not enough for the border. I took out a couple non-suitable squares, mostly off whites and non-distinct design/mottled batiks but a couple I just didn't like the feel off. That's ok, I was setting out to use up fabric and not exactly make a charm quilt. So the strips I started sewing together (no more than 4 of any given combination) will be used in the borders. I found another stack of 2.5" strips hiding under my 3" strips, so I should have plenty after all.

My Flying Squares/Not Quite Y2K top is 42 blocks, as of yesterday I have all of my off-whites rectangles cut and their unique squares sewn on to them -- so I am committed to using the off-white now!

For this sort of thing (non consistent 9-patches) I make 4-patches, then sew one of the 2-patches to that making a 2x3 grid. Then I will have to make 42 1x3 grids to join onto that and I have plenty of unique Y2K squares to do all of that. I have all the 2-patches put together into combos, still waiting to be sewn after my small group today and then blood donation. The three rows of borders will be even easier, doing them as all 4/2-patch combinations.

I'll be going out to my mom's for a couple of days this week to take her to the doctor. She's about 90 minutes away and the appointment is early, so go Wednesday, shot Thursday (steroid shot in the spine!), and come back again on Friday morning. I'll have this project to bring with me as well as the donation quilt I am binding.