Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--4/20-4/22/18 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--4/20-4/22/18

Virtual Quilting Weekend--4/20-4/22/18

Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Everyone looks busy with their projects. Yesterday I added the inner border to the baby quilt and today I hope to work on the last border, which only goes on 3 sides.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0669.jpg  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:48 PM

The pecking order quilt is lovely and the yo-yo dolls adorable! Although there were only ten of us at the guild sew-in today, we had lots of fun. I partially pieced two tops and started a charm tote purse. Will hopefully finish piecing the tops tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure how much quilting time I'll get tomorrow as DH and I need to get out and clean up the landscaping tomorrow. I don't think we're going to put down the mulch until Memorial Day weekend but at least it will look better.

I'm glad so many of you are accomplishing so much
Old 04-21-2018, 02:20 PM

I finally decided on where to put the appliqué pieces for the collaborative quilt and have them all pinned down, now I just need to appliqué them and decide what else to do with the quilt. So far all the appliqué's have been quilted using a wool batting and no backing. The quilt they'll go on is sandwiched with a slippery black on the top, a nice cotton batting and basted. I used both spray basting and sewn basting in a grid because the top was so slinky.

Rob
Old 04-21-2018, 02:31 PM

During the gloomy day here, I’ve spent most of my time sewing on 2 projects. I alternate between Boxes of Strings & the pieces for the 19th Mystery. I have 42 of 56 blocks completed for my Boxes. The final number was determined by the number of triangles I could get from my navy remnants. Each block require 2 triangles & I managed to cut 112 of them. As for the Mystery, I cut all the 2.5” squares & am well in the way to having all of the medium-background HSTs done. The dark-background HSTs will be problematic-it looks like my first choice of dark fabric is insufficient for the number needed. I’ll have to cut into my backup dark for the remainder.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Lol - Watson, I think I'm in that boat quite often too. I've made peace with my seam rippers and when I need them, I don't think about it, just do it. It's just part of sewing.

I have a seam ripper at the machine, one at the ironing board and two at the cutting table.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:50 PM

I'm done for the day - I've got the logo complete and the blocks sewn to the sides. Now all I have left is to sew the rows together and it will be ready to quilt.

I'm not putting a border on it, will just use the green for the binding. It is going in a display box and this quilt should just fit.

the words show up much better in person than they are looking in this picture.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Amazing, Macybaby! You get so much done, and to perfection too!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 PM

All the company has gone. We did get many quilts photographed. Now to fill out entries. The experience showed me how to set up the area. And no more very lg quilts, they don't fit in the photography space. (Not that I need them.)

And DD did come, brought present and cake for my birthday. Go so much done in 2 hours. Way more than I could have completed in days.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 PM

Our predicted rain failed to appear--so I ran out this morning and did some gardening--pruned back the roses(not sure one survived the winter) and then scattered some hollyhock and sweet pea seeds. Came in and quilted a customer quilt. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get better light--it's still on the frame cause I want her to weigh in on whether it needs fill quilting around the applique. It's one of those wool "Bertie" quilts and I really don't think a dense fill is really needed. I double batted it with Hobbs 80/20 and then a top layer of silk bat--really "pops". She'd wanted a dense fill but I think it will distract from the applique. Tomorrow after I photo a couple of quilts I'll start on some fidget quilts for a guild donation to care centers and get my applique design ready for a string quilt I'm doing. Retreat next Thurs-Sunday!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:35 PM

Macybaby, that is a marvelous quilt!