Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--7/3-7/5 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--7/3-7/5

Virtual Quilting Weekend--7/3-7/5

Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM

some pictures

The "it's still not working" compass star -

So I switched to sewing some of these together. I think I'll do 100 and call it good for today. There are 2,000 strips of five, and they get sewing together into 5x5 blocks.

And the long arm - all leveled up and ready. I'm going to put some "i don't really care about" floppies on first.

This is a stack of floppies ready to be quilted. Several will end up cabinet covers, and it's about time I got them on cabinets!

Though Tikka may need to find another place to nap for a while.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM

Cathy, Love your kitty! That's so where mine would be if I had that set up. Since I'm at the keyboard, that's where she is, either sitting on my arm or walking on the keys. Hunger drove me out of the sewing room, not to mention I'm about cross-eyed. It's hard to quit when I'm making such progress. I love your compass so far. Don't give up!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Well, I've had a productive day. I finished two wall hangings, started piecing a large wall hanging, and cut out the pieces for a table runner. Now it's time for the Yankees!

LOVE your frog quilt!!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:32 PM

Macybaby - I am drooling over the long arm, what type of machine is in the background of the last picture? The nice round top wood case, is it a electric or hand crank?

I have not gotten as much sewing as I wanted done but have done some. I did get the cherry wine bottled yesterday and have the glass room cleaned so I can start the stained glass project. Last night we ended up having a drive-in in our yard, we set up a screen by our fire pit and hooked up the projector, popped some popcorn sat in lawn chairs and watched Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. Was a nice evening, not to hot and very few bugs. Watching independence day right now with DH and working on the GFG. Love all the pictures!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:52 PM

dedemac, I had to look at the picture, what shows up in the background depends on what angle I took the picture from. Besides the long-arm, there are 25 sewing machines in that room.

The one under the bentwood case is a Singer 128 with LaVencedora decals. It's from the 20's and is electric and has a knee lever control.

I've been working on trimming up my 3" stars and was going to try making some 1/4" bias tape for a stained glass quilt project - and discovered I don't have the clover bias maker that is designed to be used with the fusable tape. I can use it anyway though. I came downstairs to find the black fabric I bought for the project.

I took a break earlier and made raspberry shortcake for DH - don't want him to get to feeling neglected while I'm spending the weekend sewing.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM

I need a break...I spent most of afternoon trying to figure out Rectangle Pinwheel. I am beginning a new quilt pattern and thought it best to make a practice unit as I need 20 for the quilt. I first tried drawing a line corner to corner and then sewing 1/4 inch on either side (like a 1/2 square triangle). Problem this sure did not work... Had to cut corner to corner and then sew and then trim to 2-1/2 x 3-1/2" .. Then sew four units together AB and ARBR. They end up 4-1/2 x 6-1/2 units. Hard to match the inside points.

Just wondering if there is an easier way?? Think this is the hardest part of the quilt top. Plan to make 2 per day and work on other project.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by judy363905; 07-04-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Lol Cathy, Tikka know a nice soft space... You are getting a lot organized this weekend. Good job

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Judy: Here is a tutorial on larger rectangles but maybe it will give you another idea:

100 Days-week of shapes- tutorial.

Sorry but I don't know how to link it. I just looked up half rectangle triangles.

I finished the following blocks today: one for Judy's Mystery Train # 9, HST Challenge block, 1/2" squares, and selected 1/2" squares for another block. I also organized more strips from the donation.

I hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524300[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM

I got 9 blocks done today and have 16 to go for my mom's quilt. I didn't stay at it as diligently as I should have today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel more inspired to sew.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Whoooo... got a lot done today. Finished my mini quilt for swapping, and then I got two crib quilts for charity quilted and bound, one for a girl, and one for a boy. These are for Sadie's Dream for a Cure... I used a nice thick flannel in the centers, instead of batting. I love the weight and drape! My camera wouldn't flash consistently so some of my pics are yellowed.

More tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails dsc01859.jpg   dsc01858.jpg   dsc01860.jpg