Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 9/5-9/8/20 >

Virtual quilting weekend 9/5-9/8/20

Virtual quilting weekend 9/5-9/8/20

Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 PM

It's fun to see everyone's progress.
Sadly, I just discovered I have a block trimmed 1/4" too small and no fabric to redo it. I think I have to try to put in a sliver of fabric even though it will look strange. To take up the adjoining block so they'll fit would make the quilt out of square. I have yards of every other fabric in the quilt, but only slivers of the red lines on white.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:01 AM

Up Date on my progress this Virtual Quilting Weekend . . . . .
1. Finish the Chemo Pouches for my local hospital
2. Created the pieces for the Ups and Downs quilt
3. Finish the blocks and complete the top for the Ups and Downs quilt
4. Take down the summer decorations in my home and put up the fall decorations.

I finished the blocks for the Ups and Downs quilt and discovered that I needed to make it an 5x5 layout rather than a 4x4. Not a problem, I had plenty of block pieces to create more. Done. Today is sew the blocks together day and decide if it needs sashing day. I may even start cutting the strips for a second quilt. Had lunch with a quilting friend yesterday and now I have another idea for a quilt. Will it ever end? I am laughing all the way to my stash!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:08 AM

I love seeing your quilts and progress on your projects. I finally have all the batik fabrics to start a new quilt. Lots of farbics, lots of cutting, and lots of units for one block.

I picked up my machine on Saturday from LQS. It was in for repair so will need to switch out sewing machines today. I am happy to report that a small UFO is done. It's a little wall-hanging but feels good to be done.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Hope you have a Happy Birthday, Iceblossom! Congrats on hitting the Big Six-Oh.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:25 AM

Next Virtual Quilting Weekend will be October 3-5. Love seeing all the pictures. The pandas and elf are very cute. We did a few things around the house yesterday but I did get half of a hanging sleeve stitched down. Hopefully will finish the other half today and get started on tracing the Candyland applique pieces.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
It's fun to see everyone's progress.
Sadly, I just discovered I have a block trimmed 1/4" too small and no fabric to redo it. I think I have to try to put in a sliver of fabric even though it will look strange. To take up the adjoining block so they'll fit would make the quilt out of square. I have yards of every other fabric in the quilt, but only slivers of the red lines on white.
Oh no...how about putting a frame around the block using one of the other colors of the quilt? Maybe you could follow through and do that with a few other blocks so it looks like it was part of the design and intentional. What color and print are you missing? Please show a picture. Maybe someone has something very similar they can send you. I'm glad to look through my stash for you.

Yesterday got up to 112 degrees and today it is forecast to be just as hot. It's already about 80 degrees and it's not even 7AM yet. I'm getting an early start. I'm going to cook up some rice and other salad fixings and make lunch and dinner ahead of time. Sewing too...I'm going to jump on it and finish quilting my elf and that's about it. Then, it's just me, the dogs and baseball, in front of the fan.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
fktsewing: Welcome!

tropit: Cute Santa Elf.

thimblebug6000: Those pandas are adorable.

Thanks quilters for posting your progress.

I finished the top called Harmony by GE Design. It was the first time I chose a dark background for a quilt top.

The top is 70.5” by 81” and, for now, will go into the Church quilter’s pile to be finished when we can meet again.
Love this pattern...it looks like an abstract of a close up of a chain link fence. Very cool!
Old 09-07-2020, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Spent the day hand appliquing the 2nd panda block...bottom right is the one from today.
Adorable pandas! I love applique, but I don't do it. You're encouraging me to try.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:35 AM

Irishrose can you reinforce the edges and use a 1/8 inch seam instead of the 1/4 inch seam to sew it to the next block or sashing?

I spent yesterday drafting pieced alphabet letters. I was inspired by the tween quilt that Emeliasnana made for her DGD. (It's over in Pictures. Don't know how to link it. Sorry) My oldest DGD will be 12 in January and really needs a new quilt. My DGD decided that she would like words using the letters of her name instead of exactly like Emeliasnana's quilt. The words will go down the center of the quilt. I am planning to used different scrappy blocks to finish off each row. I have 10 rows of 8 inch blocks to play with--stars with 16 patch centers, log cabin, flying geese...this is going to be so much fun--and probably a lot of work--but she is worth it!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:32 AM

I have most of the center of the quilt finished with large stitch hand quilting. Yesterday was a rainy day and it was perfect to stay inside and quilt. I hope to finish the center of the quilt today and then start on the borders. This is the Inman Park quilt that I am making for my DGD.
Attached Thumbnails savannahs-quilt.jpg