Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23 >

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Old 09-08-2023, 05:04 PM

Thanks again for hosting this weekend. I got started first thing as I had scheduled it on my calendar. I'm piecing Debi Montgomery's "Soul Mates"; took all day to piece the two blocks from step 3. Step 4 will probably eat all of my Saturday. My plan was to get the top completed this VQW - I dream big! Everything will have to piece perfectly for that to happen.

Best wishes for all your projects.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:54 AM

Hello Everybody!

I'm working on a baby quilt and have come to putting on the final borders.

Please refresh my quilted brain.....It has been a while since I've put on borders. I think what I've done in the past is place a side border strip down the center of the quilt lengthwise and use this size for both side borders. I would sew the side borders on.

Next I would place a border strip across the center of the quilt, widthwise and cut the top and bottom borders to this size.

The pattern calls for a specific size to cut the borders, but I worry my quilt size will not be the same size per the pattern.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Wishing you all a fun and productive weekend.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:13 AM

Wow. This snuck up on me. I delivered half an order of the pillows I make yesterday for an order and I plan to start stenciling the other half today. In the process of selling my house and moving, my studio or course is not setup yet. I managed to get it functional enough to complete the order, but did need to split it into two orders, which the vendor was fine with. I have my stencils and fabric cut, so it's onto stenciling today. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on, will check back in later.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:25 AM

Good morning All,
Yep, VQW slipped by me as well. But I spent yesterday sewing anyway so all is good. I am putting together a large very stuffed baggie of HSTs that were part of an exchange we did many years ago at the quilt shop. These were either the seed blocks we started with or leftovers customers didn't pick up. Mostly all fabrics are in the Reproduction type. I have bocks sewn and and working on rows. It will make a nice throw size even without borders. I will decide on those when the top is complete. Off to work today, but will be back to sewing on Sunday as it is supposed to rain. Hope you all get in some good sewing while I'm away.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:57 AM

I don't know what I'm working on yet, but I know I need to sew!
Old 09-09-2023, 04:37 AM

I'll be sewing with you too. I've started another QOV. I need to make 24 star blocks in 2 sizes. I am making Lemoyne stars using Deb Tucker's rulers. I am a very slow sewer, I got all the yardwork done yesterday so I can sew today and tomorrow. But there will be a quick trip to the grocery store - I'm almost out of cat food!
Old 09-09-2023, 05:59 AM

I started a kaleidoscope stack/whack with 8 panels. Did not purchase the 7 shades of blue needed to complete the blocks because...I found them in my stash!! Yesterday, I finished cutting all the pieces: 20 sets of 8 identical wedges; 32 sets of 4 patches; and the blue backgrounds. I ordered a nineth panel for the backside like I have seen here before!
Today, the beach is flat, so we're going surf fishing this morning. This afternoon, I'll finish pinning and hopefully start stitching.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:17 AM

Hey Copycat, I prefer to fit my borders to my quilt like you are describing, but I typically miter if I can so I need the extra length on the ends and I cut them a couple inches larger than necessary, just in case. Without the miters especially, cutting both sides the same helps keep the finished quilt more true to measurements.

I find working on my ironing board (especially with a baby quilt) to be good place. I press in place the border right side up and since I am a believer in pinning and open seams, I then press the top in place with the right side down and I pin every leading seam edge and/or every 2" or so. I know many quilters who barely pin at all and who get wonderful results, but that's not me.

I am in a temporary month-to-month rental while we get some things done at the new house. Went into the room with the fabric totes and opened up the the plastic storage drawers but haven't found my portable sewing kit yet. Got a little overwhelmed with everything and backed out. Most of the stuff was packed back in 2022, moved into a pod, out of the pod and into storage, then into a truck and then unloaded. Hopefully by next VQW I'll have my sewing studio unpacked and be able to find things. But first, the upstairs bedroom wood floors need to be refinished and the downstairs sewing room needs a couple of closets built for storing all of those totes and such.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:35 AM

Iceblossom, You are very patient!
Here are pics of my WIP.
Attached Thumbnails kaleid2.jpg   kaleid1.jpg  
Old 09-09-2023, 07:06 AM

Good morning everyone. I’m in. I had this on my calendar too. I so look forward to the VQW each month. I enjoy seeing all of the progress everyone is doing.

My goals today and tomorrow and rest of the month: (1) finishing sewing binding on 2 quilts that were on my list for a few months. (2) square 42 = 12.5” blocks. (3). Sew the 42 -12.5” blocks together. (4) get backing and batting cut for 2 donation tops, 40 by 60” tops. So I can quilt later in the month (5). Rearrange an area in the downstairs quilt room. (6). Quilt 1 baby quilt top for a friend (7). Finish sewing 2 baby quilts and get ready for quilting.

Enjoy sewing/quilting everyone!!! 😊