Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23 >

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Old 09-10-2023, 04:27 AM

I have finished all but 2 of the larger Lemoyne stars for my quilt. But I realized I don't have enough blue fabric for the smaller stars. So tomorrow I will go to a couple of the nearest stores which are 40 miles away to look for more of the same fabric, or formulate a plan B. In the meantime I can work on the red and white stripes needed for the quilt.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:51 AM

QuiltBaer--I love Lemoyne stars, one of my favorite blocks.

Iceblossom, rryder, WMUteach--I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who forgot! I usually put it on the calendar but forgot to do that too

copycat--how did your borders turn out?

Did a little work in the sewing room yesterday. Since our last VQW, I completed all the tops hanging over the railing and organized/cleaned the sewing room so it's very neat looking. I almost don't want to work in therer and mess it up! I'll be back to work this afternoon tho. I have a table runner I can easily finish and cross off my list.

Will check back in later.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:43 AM

img_20230910_113029111.jpgimg_20230904_132520758.jpg
Been working on the pillows this morning. Pictured are is the Maine one with the stencil still on it, the others are stenciled obviously with the stencil removed. Trimming and matching them up with their backs, also waterproof outdoor fabric. I make these for the TV show Maine Cabin Masters. I am one of their vendors for their store in Manchester Maine. I make my stencils and use Profab fabric paint for the stencilling. This paint is fabulous to work with.

The simese in the polyfil box was my DFILs blue point. He just loves hanging out with DH and myself. We inherited him after my DFIL passed in July, he is an awesome cat and we love him dearly.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:16 AM

No sewing or even playing with my new portable machine yesterday. We were going to do a bit of garage sale-ing in the morning and went out in the hubby's truck to get cash and I needed quarters for the laundromat. We don't have a local bank yet but there is a Chase on the far end of town open on Saturdays so we head there, get money broken down into small bills and the roll of quarters. Since we are on that end of town, we go to one of the farmer's markets. All is well but the truck doesn't start. We get a jump,it starts just fine but we are watching the power gauge steadily go down until we are about halfway back to home (5 miles left) and truck stops.

Hooray for AAA -- the charge guy comes out and determines as we already suspect that it is the alternator and not the starter or battery, and his advice is to have it towed while we are in a safe spot and not risk trying to get home. So we take his advice and now have to wait for the tow guy. Happens that we are about a block away from a BBQ/Bar so hubby volunteers to stay with the hot car while I go to the dark bar where I had some wonderful onion rings and a drink the bartender recommended when I said "something light and lemony". I think we left around 9:00 am and truck broke down about 10:30 and we got home about 3:30 pm... I was exhausted by that point and crashed while the hubby watched the U Michigan game.

I am so thankful that this didn't happen on the road as he was driving from Seattle. So thankful it wasn't during the recent 100 degree heat wave. So thankful we have two vehicles. We had charged cell phones and AAA and no dogs or children or other things with us (dogs had been left at home). And hey -- we had even been to the BBQ place already so knew that was a safe spot to be. We already have a garage we like, just maybe 1 mile away from our temporary rental and a fresh jumped battery will get him there with no problem. One of my turn signals had gone out and wasn't the bulb or fuse, and while we were there talking to the shop a lady came in with a quilting T-shirt, we were chatting and that's how I met my new Tuesday sewing group.

Today I did set up the new machine. I think it will work very well for what I want it to do. Still need to go through the boxes of stuff to find a project One of those tubs has some of my pre-put together kits but I haven't found that yet (maybe it's where my portable sewing kit is), or maybe will put together a new one out of things that were distracting me. Will try and get that done today but I still have Monday before Tuesday group.

Grats to all who have been getting things done!

Quiltah Mama -- Maine Cabin Masters is one of the home shows I regularly watch. Before the show I was reading some books set in Maine but I didn't quite have the concept of what a "camp" is and now I know. How cool that I have probably seen some of your work without realizing it -- and now your name makes more sense to me heard in a Maine accent
Old 09-10-2023, 10:42 AM

Didnt even know about the VQW - the first week of school was upon us and .... a major heat wave. Just what teachers and kids need, amiright??

I've been sitting on fabric for "Stepping Up" pattern from Fabic Cafe (3 yards) it was a freebie offered on their website. I had Project Linus on Sat so I precut everything ...and then my needle broke before I took a single stitch. So did the strip piecing and cutting last night and did the center of the pattern this morning. Great pattern, very quick. Still need to do the borders but I need to get going on a customer longarm project. Its a neat pattern - single LeMoyne star -- but the HST blocks are 18"! Talk about a quick way to make a BIG quilt!!

Good luck with the heat everyone. Make no apologies for abandoning sewing for the pool -or- hiding inside in the AC if you are lucky enough to have it.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:09 PM

Quiltah Mama - I inherited my DM's cat Lucy. I had her for 19 1/2 years, she was 25 or 26 when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge, my vet's oldest patient for years.

Got the Christmas Quilt cut out. Finished the Dream Big Poinsettia, even made the binding. The picture of the Poinsettia is washed out because we had to take it outside. Inside none the stitching or texture showed in the pictures we took inside. I did the Dream Big Poinsettia panel with Pro Stitcher Premium on my Handi Quilter Forte. The laser light was a tremendous help outling the areas and learned a lot about Pro Stitcher Premium. Used Isacord thread and two battings per Adamsewsfun videos.

Thanks for hosting the VQW again Raggiemom.
Attached Thumbnails 20230910_114558-1-.jpg   20230910_143223.jpg  

Last edited by Cam's gram; 09-10-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:18 PM

Iceblossom--I can understand why you would be exhausted after all that!

The Yankees game seemed to take forever this afternoon but at least they finally won one. Now I'm turning off the computer and getting a project ready to work on first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for quilting with me this weekend, and I'll see you all back here next month.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 PM

I got my open options together. The extra blocks will be on the back.
Attached Thumbnails img_1772.jpeg   img_1774.jpeg  
Old 09-11-2023, 02:28 AM

Raggiemom.... I got the right and left side borders on so far. I'm happy I waited to cut my borders out until I squared the quilt top.
Using the quilt top to measure my borders worked perfectly! I will get the top and bottom borders on today after work. I have been slow as a turtle getting this quilt done, as I've had lots of Grandma time to keep me busy.

Thanks for posting your projects everyone and have a Great week!
Old 09-11-2023, 03:10 AM

OMG iceblossom, I would have had to get in my recliner after all that. Hope you get to play with your new machine soon. Nothing better than a new machine to motivate us quilters. My pillows are in season eight on several episodes of their show. On their website, they are called Backyard Pillows.

Cash mom, your outside picture of your poinsettia is absolutely gorgeous, perfect for showing your stitching. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Love the poinsettia coloring for the Christmas quilt.

Thank you Heather for hosting again. Looking forward to next VQW in October, thank you everyone for sharing your progress and work.