Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Apr 16-18, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Apr 16-18, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Apr 16-18, 2021

Old 04-17-2021, 07:37 AM

Nice weather forecast so I'm going to be outside if possible....but just finished binding on a baby quilt. Here's the question: how do I label? Just date and washing instructions? Welcome baby? I'm mailing for gift during the baby shower....so name not known.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:40 AM

jmoore - I absolutely love those colors together - it makes the quilt look so warm and cozy! I can't wait to see it finished, it's going to be beautiful!

rryder - she's got some geddy-up-and-go - I have to keep the pedal pressed about a quarter of the way to get control of her. Her pedal has a curve shaped attachment, so I mounted it on my sewing cabinet for a knee press, that's helped me control her some. Putting the pedal to the metal for free motion quilting has been both fun and scary, lol. Only real hiccup now is sometimes, the pedal sticks, so I have to hit it once with my knee to get her going. Reminds me to squirt some DW-40 on that before I start quilting today.

So yesterday was a wee bit of a flop for me, I was putting on the back cover and I kept dropping the screws. Thankfully, the screwdriver I was using is magnetized, so picking them up wasn't that much of a chore, but all the bending down and stretching put a terrible crick in my neck and shoulders. I had to finally stop for the day, take some Aleve pm, put my head on a warm heating pad and just sleep it off. It's much better this morning, thank goodness I don't have to mess with the machine like that again!

As soon as I wake up a little more, I'm going to clean and oil my machine, then reassess the neck and shoulders to see if I would be up to doing some cutting. Thankfully, I moved my big cutting mat to a better location, it won't be so hard on my shoulders to cut. If all I get done is clean and oil my machine today, I can live with that, just means all the fun starts tomorrow!

Old 04-17-2021, 08:39 AM

I got a little finished on my round robin. I'm doing flying geest with a different method. It's a good challenge and any new method requires a learning curve and fixing the hick-ups.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM

Rff1010, I'm always torn about labels on quilts. Mostly I don't include one, but I do include basically a label sized bit of information inside the card I give with the quilt. Otherwise I put the quilt name, my name (or at least first initial/last) and the finished year. For my own use, I do try and document my work. Some years/projects I'm better at that than others.

My washing advice is that the quilt was made for baby in mind and is machine made and machine washable and my best advice was to use and wash and let it be loved to tatters.

For my engineering types, they always liked it when I told them there were XX number of pieces in the top. Always made them giggle:

PS: Floor washed!
Old 04-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
She's my old Dressmaker SS2402
What a beauty! We get attached to these machines after working so hard to bring them back to life.

I bought a similar looking machine from Fingerhut in about 1979, but I can't even remember the name on it. Pretty blue and white with lots of stitches.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
The pictures don’t do it justice as it looks gray but they are blues and cream.
It looks blue and cream on my screen - a lovely, calm combination - this is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:00 AM

My current project on round robin. That thread has more details.

rr-monag-resize-2-mp.jpg
Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM

I should really be finishing several projects I have going, but I am going to begin another - Mitered Corner Log Cabin. I saw this quilt in a book by Anita Grossman Solomon and absolutely have to make it. It is a scrappy quilt which is right up my alley. The book quilt uses Civil War reproduction fabrics, but I am going to use what I have in my stash which is very light on repro fabrics.

Other projects to finish: sewing on 2 bindings (one twin sized, and one small wall hanging sized); sandwiching a lap quilt; finish quilting and binding a table runner; finally, sandwiching. quilting and binding a large wall hanging. See...too many projects and not enough time (or willpower) to finish them. I don't like to sandwich and quilt, binding I don't mind. I'd much rather make a flimsy.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

It is fun to read what everyone is working on. I can't play this weekend, actually for maybe a month. We have been in our house twenty years and it is the deepest spring cleaning I have ever done going on now. And painting the whole downstairs.
I am managing to spend an hour or two here and there on the applique part of a quilt called, "Billboards", by Coach House Designs. I have made all of the pieced tree blocks and finished the top long panel. Working on the second one now. There are four panel like scenes to the quilt with woody station wagons and mountains and pine trees with billboards that are printed panels. So cute. I ordered it from Alaska.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:33 AM

I'm in! I have been working nonstop on an Arkansas Traveler quilt. It will be a smaller quilt than I usually make because I ran out of a primary color in the quilt. I think I am going to hand quilt it so it will not be done this weekend. I have the bat and the backing ready to do. It will make a very nice throw quilt for the living room. I have decided to make smaller quilts for now something very new to me since I have always done larger quilts. Today I will get on the quilting. Something I can do laying in bed.