Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23

Old 12-17-2023, 06:40 AM

Count me in! I've got one more gift to make and then I can get back to regular quilting projects. My Around the World quilt has three more borders to be ditched-- It's slow going as each border is made up of 9 log cabin blocks and the four corners are also log cabin blocks. I can do 2 or 3 blocks in a sitting before my hands start to act up, so probably won't be gettin the ditching finished during this VQW- but one can hope. I really want to get to the decorative quilting on this one as I'm trying something new design-wise.

Rob
Old 12-17-2023, 07:49 AM

Aashley333, you have such an interesting project on the go, and a whole lot of patience, wow!
Old 12-17-2023, 08:34 AM

I have been paper piecing up a storm and now have all my (triangle) blocks pieced. I think my daughter will love the colors on this! Next up is sewing the blocks into rows.

Hmmm ... looking at the image I see that I have several pairs of the blocks in the wrong (swapped) positions. The detail oriented folks can have fun trying to spot them, if it amuses them.
Attached Thumbnails hexadaisy_rainbow_p.jpg  

Last edited by platyhiker; 12-17-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 AM

I am working on Bonnie's mystery. Due to medical issues, I got sidetracked for a while. I have clue 1 all done, Clue 2 is cut, working on Clue 3 to get it cut. May also do the clutting for Clue 4 before sitting down to do all the stitching or I may skip Clue 4 for now. But yikes another clue on Friday!
Old 12-17-2023, 09:01 AM

Platyhiker, love your colours and design!
Old 12-17-2023, 09:05 AM

Another person taking a computer break from the Bonnie Hunter Mystery project. Thanks to Heather and greetings to all, and a special goodness! to Aashley!!

My contractor is done with this go-round of projects. I should probably be unpacking things but I've got sewing to do I've been having a terrible time keeping my concentration but last night set up a small stereo and am able to work for much longer with music to keep my company. Need to get caught up with the mystery because my MIL is not doing well and we will probably be taking a trip to visit with her over Christmas. She fell and hurt herself just before Thanksgiving and had to spend a couple of days in the hospital and then in a recovery center, but it is clear after observation that her mental state means she is not going to be able to live alone any longer. So sad.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:45 AM

Platyhiker What is the pattern name? Love the colors.

I was able to do the binding on both leg holes and make the bag and pockets for the shopping cart cover. Today I need to do very large button holes for where the straps come thru (need to set up a different machine) and encase the outer edge for the elastic and bind the pockets and bag before attaching. Then I will get back to the coasters. Or I might work on some QAYG for a room divider that ended up too narrow after washing, so I took it apart to add more.

Happy sewing! (DH is taking over the kitchen today so I'm banished to the sewing room )
Old 12-17-2023, 01:51 PM

I finished! I finished the quilting on 98 x 98 bed quilt for us. Pulled it off the longarm...just needs trimming and binding..

Brought out the next project and draped it over the bars to let the folds relax out
Old 12-17-2023, 04:18 PM

The pattern is called Hexadaisy and is a very reasonable $4.50 on Etsy. It's a digital download. It's a paper pieced pattern, and the pieces shown in the pdf are for the 24" finished size, and there are tables with the info on the resize factor to use to get other sizes. There is a coloring sheet included, to make it easy to play with different color layout options. (I copied the image into Paint which made it super easy to color in.)

For anyone making this pattern, I highly recommend the patterns instruction to make a copy of the coloring sheet and then cut it up into all the component triangles. With the rainbow option (12 different colors), every block is different but some are very similar, and it would be very easy to get lost. Looking at the triangles for the what I was working on (I liked doing about 3 at a time), I could easily check my work - e.g. I"ve got the light blue and dark blue over here in that order, so the next strip is the *light* green, not the dark green".
Old 12-17-2023, 05:45 PM

Wow—there is such a variety of projects. After church I was in the kitchen today. Tomorrow I’m supposed to quilt at local shop with a friend. But we’ll see what the weather is doing in the morning. The roads might be a little slippery in which case we’ll cancel. But hopefully it will be ok. Keep up the good work!