Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Old 01-16-2020, 04:57 PM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Welcome to VQW. I've been working part of the afternoon on a quilt and started to quilt a table runner with metallic thread. Since I wasn't using a metallic needle, it didn't go very well so will resume that project after I get metallic needles tomorrow! I have a few small projects I would like to finish this weekend just so I can move them to the completed pile!

If you are new to our Virtual Quilting Weekends, we join in on this thread and share what we are working on. It can be quilting, organizing, shopping, planning, whatever you like. If you are able to upload pictures of what you are working on, even better. Any questions please ask.

Next month's VQW will be 2/14-2/17.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:07 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

This weekend I.will.complete.my.two.UFO.panel quilts. At least the piecing. One needs only borders and corners; the OBW needs blocks arranged and sewn into rows. Then, if time permits, work on the project planner for February and March. Can’t start until Saturday. Tomorrow is work day at the co-op in FL where we live during the cold weather.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM

I hope to get to piecing some easy quilt tops for Project Linus this weekend. Our group kits them up, so I have a few at home. I also have some bags of 2 1/2 inch scraps that we had in our binding stash there. It was a lot of excess, so right now I'm sewing the blues together. I have a bag of cream/beige and reds as well, so I will have to figure out how to assemble everything somehow at some point.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM

I am caught up for now (new clue tomorrow) on the Bonnie Hunter Frolic project. Expecting some work for tomorrow.

It snowed here in Seattle, we've had snow on the ground since Sunday. That's rare, here we usually only get a day or two. Stayed in today and stabilized some more of the bag of hand dyes I got at the thrift store. That was one prewash full batch on hot in the washing machine. Take small batch, rinse. Boil in water, vinegar and salt for 20 minutes. Rinse until clean. Boil in microwave for 20 minutes. Rinse. Once all pieces (6 batches) were boiled, soak in hot water in washer with setting agent. Then one more wash with soap and the color catcher came out clean! It's an amazing amount of effort, time and water/power I'm going to just in order to save a cheap bag of fabric!

Hubby wanted to spend some time so I'll have to iron them tomorrow after their completely dried out. Prefer to get them a little moist but hubby important too.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 PM

Good evening everyone. I’m in. I plan to finish putting together a rwb top, and quilt the top. Then continue to work on my 4-5 steps of BHMQ- Frolic.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:20 PM

I’m in! Last week I was working on cutting the pieces for 3-4 projects so they are ready to sew. I’d like to continue that this weekend. I have about 100 more triangles to cut for my Rhombus Star. I also need to cut and prep hexagons and diamonds for hand projects to take along. It may be ambitious considering there are other errands to be done this weekend but I’d like to cut the pieces for another quick layer cake project as well. It will give me plenty of things to sew in the evenings while the TV is on. Even if I can only sew for 30 minutes.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:42 AM

Thanks Raggiemom
Looks like more snow is coming so this will be a great weekend for sewing, unfortunately my favorite machine is still out for maintenance and given this weekend’s weather forecast, I won’t be able to pick it up. I do have a Doug Leko quilt (Roundabout) where I have finished all the blocks and pieces and it needs to be assembled so I it will be a great weekend to work on that.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 AM

We are scheduled to get some freezing something. So I'll be inhabiting the inner sanctum of the 2nd floor quilting area. I should get the giant dahlia dream panel back from the longarmer today. Will try to post pic. It will be donated to the local dahlia group to be raffled off.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2020 at 04:07 AM. Reason: promoting banned member
Old 01-17-2020, 04:02 AM

Default quilting weekend

In between doing laundry and watching the lousy weather, (supppose to have a mix of rain, sleet, snow), I'll be working on making blocks for my crazy quilt. Or I may try to work on getting backing, batting and marking a quilt ready to put together.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:23 AM

I've got a small wall hanging (need something new for the kitchen so I can take the Christmas quilt down) ready to quilt and another small quilt ready to hand stitch binding to back. I can always do the unending "pick up the sewing room" or "tackle the scraps" chore.