Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Old 07-02-2021, 05:58 AM

I will try to do some quilting but main goal is to put elastic into most of my shorts and slacks as I have lost about 60 lbs. and they all want to fall off me! Glad to be smaller but don't want to buy all new clothes so will put sewing skills to work. Hope to cut out a quilt!
Old 07-02-2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
I will try to do some quilting but main goal is to put elastic into most of my shorts and slacks as I have lost about 60 lbs. and they all want to fall off me! Glad to be smaller but don't want to buy all new clothes so will put sewing skills to work. Hope to cut out a quilt!

Wow! Good for you on losing that much weight!
Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 AM

I have been working on my Spinning Spools quilt top that Alex Anderson shared, and need to piece a backing and hopefully sandwich it this weekend.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 AM

Good going ka9sdn -- my hubby did not fully appreciate my thrift store shopping until he started losing a lot of weight and had to keep buying new pants. One day he found a pair of brand new jeans with the store tags still on them, the exact size he wanted, and he's been hooked and thrifting with me ever since!

These star blocks. Again, I seem to be having an abnormal amount of effort in counting correctly. 25 blocks -- check. That means four sides which adds up to 100 goose units -- check. Apparently this is where I start losing it because 100 goose units = 200 triangles and not 25 or 50 or 100...

I have two opposing sides on the centers. I have one more set of 25 ready to sew, and I will need to cut one more set of yellow triangles which is 50 and not 25! I believe I cut out all the blue corners needed. If not I still have fabric (since it was reordered already) extra.

It should be smooth sailing after this coffee break, and maybe even a progress picture tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM

True Confessions: After the last post I got up and filled with determination and math on my side, cut out those triangles. And then I'm looking and what I have left of my strip and wondering why was there still so much left??

Derp! Counted to 25 again! I think I should play it as a lottery number or something at this point.

Anyway, figured another cup of coffee couldn't hurt so here I am again. But this time, yes -- 50 yellow triangles later. The other set has been sewn and pressed, needs the second yellow triangles put on.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:06 AM

I'm hoping to sew this weekend and packing projects for a retreat next week. Today I started an applique block for my Harriet's Journey top. I'm fairly new to applique and this block will be a challenge as there are 8 hearts, 20 leaves and a circle vine all on a 6 1/2" square!
I also have 3 vet quilts sandwiched waiting to be quilted and 3 fleece panels I have an idea for making into small cuddle throws, so no shortage of things to work on. But the rest of today is busy (not sewing), so I have to wait til tomorrow to continue.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:26 AM

I'm in this weekend (thank you for hosting Heather, enjoy your time visiting :-))

I'm working on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks, and also a basket of flowers pattern that I intend to turn into a large cushion cover (for a 'throw pillow' I believe is the US lingo)

SBS is a question of trying to get some blocks done: I have 2 applique blocks and a (should be) straightforward machine piecing blocks tagged to attempt next.

The cushion cover is pieced, so next steps are sandwiching and quilting - I'm flirting with the idea of doing some handquilting, but I need to decide on pattern(s)

Happy Quilting!

Old 07-02-2021, 02:20 PM

Just checking in quickly--railroader, glad your migraine is better.

Ice blossom--have fun with the neverending triangles!

I haven't quilted but cut out a couple projects and trimmed some HSTs. Mom is making some shorts so I've been keeping her company
Old 07-02-2021, 06:01 PM

I'm in - I have a baby quilt on one machine being FMQ and a wedding quilt on my piecing machine - a long way to go on that one, but I love the ombre fabric, so it's fun to work on.
Finished and delivered the auction quilt I worked on last month, plus delivered the graduation quilt that was on the other machine. All good.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Friday Update

Well, I have to put my fiancé on another project when he gets home. Good thing he loves me so much, lol. My fiberglass board "table" isn't big enough for my nephew's quilt, the picture is only seven blocks across and about six blocks down. There's still two more rows to put on the bottom.

I had some issues getting the last bunch of blocks to square up, but after putting the blocks together, I'm not going to fiddle with them anymore, I think the design hides the problems. I am super, super pleased with how it's coming along, I've texted him pictures of it but haven't heard back from him yet. Given how excited he was when he saw it in the beginning, I think he's going to like what he sees a lot, he's a big blue fan like me.

Next picture is my next project, my big sister's Flower Chain quilt. After I get my nephew's blocks stitched together, I'm going to take a coffee break, then get started on hers.

Feeling super productive, I love these weekends!

Attached Thumbnails jake.jpg   sandys.jpg