Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 2-5, 2021

Old 07-04-2021, 07:22 PM

Default Sunday Update

So, I'm always up for a challenge when I quilt. I always push myself to try new things and I love to problem solve. But, when I have to problem solve two different quilts at the same time, my brain turns to mush and it makes me question everything.

It took me most of the morning to realize that I was reading the ruler for the Flower Chain wrong. I tried twice to make the flower block going by what I thought I was reading on the ruler, only to discover that I had read it wrong both times. Once I figured out the issue and tried again, bingo, I had success. After I figured that out and cut the rest of the pieces off the Muslin so I could put it away and put my kitchen back together, I laid down for a nap, my brain was just done with math for the day, period.

After I make myself an iced coffee and wake up, I'm going to take pictures of my nephew's quilt and post it, I'm not 100% sure how to rectify the problem I'm having with it and I'd like to get it solved so I can finish his. I also heard back from him, he's so thrilled that he actually called me instead of texting and he was giggling like a kid.

Attached Thumbnails sandy-01.jpg  
Old 07-05-2021, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
It took most of the weekend, but it is done! This is a block from Harriet's Journey by Jennifer Chiaverini.

I recognize that block! Good for you for taking it on. I on the other hand am skipping the applique blocks. But I enjoy seeing your beautiful efforts. You will be one well skilled and experienced applique gal when the HJ is finished.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM

So many wonderful projects going on! I only got a portion of my fan blades cut but out of that most of those were fussy cut from UM fabrics. Don't think I'll be so fussy with the rest (pretty much can guarantee it) and I worked out a few things in my head like I only want 2 yellows in each fan, or at least that's what I'm thinking before I have any made.

I only wish the designer (me) had better instructions!

Hope everyone had a lovely day yesterday, whatever and where ever you were.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
This looks beautiful!! If you're looking to expand it and you want to make more of the extra blocks, could you do some with a green fabric that is a couple shades lighter than your current green that you don't have enough of? Then maybe finish with a (few) borders of some kind that are lighter again? So it kind of makes an ombre effect with the green. Just trying to think about how to enlarge it with what you have
You have me thinking.....off to go examine the stash...

(I love this board!)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:24 AM

So my supposedly 'straightforward' block (Anvil) for my SBS took up most of Saturday's quilting time. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out (there was a lot of ripping out. And muttering). Got it done eventually though!!

I'm partway through both of the applique blocks, which I am finding much easier - Lancaster Rose and Bridal Wreath (so QuiltingVagabond and I have been working on the same block this weekend - except hers is finished, and mine still needs leaves, lol)

The frankenbatting for my cushion cover remains un-franken-ed, but there's always next weekend....

I love the idea of the ombre effect for the medallion quilt - what an inspired thought Sephie!

Happy Quilting!
Old 07-05-2021, 12:12 PM

Had to take some of my own advice this morning -- I was looking at the fan blades and I know why I didn't want to change my rotary blade, I just wanted to get through this project and I'm using a template to cut with and chances are good with the slight curves I'm going to nick the blade.

Yesterday I was mashing down hard enough to dig trenches and still missing threads and today I am gliding through, slicing and dicing with ease.

Was my last fresh blade -- have to go order some now. Blades are cheap compared to time and fabric!

Old 07-05-2021, 03:04 PM

Monday Evening Update:
1. Finish binding on Debby Brown Quilt - Think it was February or March? Done...
2. Quilt UFO sandwiched quilt for donation - Done
3. Make binding for Quilt in #2 and get it on the quilt and finished. - Done
4. Sew up 11 Christmas stockings for VA and cut another 12 for future mindless sewing moments.- Got 6 completely finished and 11 half finished. I have a week to get these little darl'ins finished. Can do.

Not bad for a four day weekend! Here is the final quilt for the weekend efforts. I found an oops after it was quilted and was not about to unbind and take out the stitching. It is for donation and I hope they won't see my error. Only two more layered quilts to go but they will have to wait for another Virtual Quilting Weekend .
Attached Thumbnails 2021-07-05-resized.jpg   2021-07-05-blue-9-patch.jpg  
Old 07-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Working on my first ever Lone Star. Center medallion came out much smaller than anticipated (39"). So I decided to make some extras to go around the outside. This is the test fit.

Sadly I have plenty of the different grey's left. But only 12" of the green background. Fabric is from stash so can't get anymore.

I've never done a medallion before so this problem is really bending my brain. It's a puzzle!
Rff, why don't you make quarter stars for your 4 corners? I think that will look great and make sense with the design.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:17 PM

Love everyones projects, looks like this was a productive weekend for many! Got my top done first thing this morning, then discovered I didn't have the correct size wide back so I ordered that. I pulled fabrics for my next project, starched & squared up all the fabrics and even managed to get everything cut and ready to sew. Thanks again for hosting Heather, see everyone next month!
Old 07-05-2021, 04:18 PM

beautiful!

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
It took most of the weekend, but it is done! This is a block from Harriet's Journey by Jennifer Chiaverini.