Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 26-28, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 26-28, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 26-28, 2019

Old 07-29-2019, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
It's been Hot!!! here. So I avoid using the iron from 2-7pm & turn the thermastat to 80 to use less energy during peak usage hours. But that's when I quilt the most. What do you do to press seams, set binding, etc. without using an iron?
I finger press a lot. It works just as good as an iron for me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:23 AM

Had date day with the Hubby on Sunday, zero quilting done. I did look at my some of my postcard blocks to see if they should be trimmed... maybe they should but I'm going with how they are. So far while a few were scant, none were over and a lot were right on.

But hubby and I started with our bowling date. He typically works 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days, so Sunday morning is one of the few times he can commit to having off and the bowling alley has a special at that time period. He's good and I go for the fun, I'm getting better but am not at all impressive. Then we hit our usual thrift store, I bought a lovely bamboo round desk organizer that will be brilliant as I'm pursuing my paper piecing.

After that we went clothes shopping for the hubby. It's a different experience for him since he's lost almost 200 pounds! He is almost at goal which is 185, currently 192 -- 185 is what he weighed when he graduated high school and is 200 pounds from where he started. We had a gift certificate to Nordstrom's so we visited two different Rack outlets looking at shoes and other things for him. He's going to a mini-family reunion next week and they haven't seen his new look, I laugh and say I want to dress him up like a pool boy. For so long he's just been covering the nakedness but now it matters more on how things fit and look. He's been dealing with thinning hair but has escaped the male pattern baldness that his father and half-brother has, but on Wednesday he's getting his 30 year old pony tail cut off to complete the transformation.

I've been thinking on tops for my friend going through the medical stuff. Different idea now than when I started but I pulled out the fabric for the back and that will help me pull the fabric for the top. Drafted out the pattern so I know what I need/want -- but I'll probably have to do it easier than my current idea just due to timing. Going to do some of that today before my doctor's appt.

Thanks for the company, love the virtual weekends even when I have other things going on.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 AM

I have used one of those small chef rolling pins with a different size on each end. Works great with a little pressure. I start the seam by a light finger press.