Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend June 16-18, 2023 >

Virtual quilting weekend June 16-18, 2023

Virtual quilting weekend June 16-18, 2023

Old 06-19-2023, 02:21 PM

Well, today was a bust for me. Medicaid Transportation failed to assigned a transportation provider, so I had to reschedule my MRI. My area of Missouri has been having issues with this situation for a long time, I even filed a grievance against them at the beginning of the year and was told the problem was solved. From the looks of things, it probably hasn't and it has my doctor's office up in arms as to what to do.

Yesterday, I managed to get five flower blocks done, even though these blocks are easy, they are slightly time consuming because I have to snowball so many squares to get the petal units before I put them on the pinwheel. For me, those take time because I just haven't gotten the knack down to sew diagonally on my own yet, the diagonal seam tape helps but I'm out, so I've had to mark each square. I'm not complaining, I'm beginning to really enjoy the whole process of building a block more than I am racing to finish. I kicked back and watched a couple documentaries while I did them and had fun.

This evening, I'm pulling my background fabric out and cutting down a yard for those strips I ended up using for my 2.5" squares. After that, I'll be working on the chain blocks and then when my other half gets out of bed, I'm going to lay them out to see where I'm at. The original pattern says the quilt should be 75 X 85 when done, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make it that big for her, she spends her evenings in her lounge chair crocheting with her cat in her lap and I want to make it big enough for the two of them, but not so big that it's heavy. She has MS and some days, she has a hard time with muscle weakness, I'd rather her be able to enjoy the quilt and not have to fight with it.

This weekend has been such a joy, I can't wait for the next one! Will post an updated photo later, I've got my kids to get outside to potty and feed them, then it's back to my sewing corner!
Old 06-19-2023, 02:26 PM

Railroadersbrat—sorry you had to reschedule the mri.

Had a productive and fun day quilting with friends at the shop. Got two and a half charity tops assembled.

See you all next month!
Old 06-19-2023, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Below is a photo of my Disappearing 4 patch blocks that I finished this VQW. All from my stash, BTW. Today I went shopping for the backing for this quilt and several unfinished quilt projects that need to be wrangled in and finished before they turn into UFO's. Yeah for sales and lots of motivation to get them done and given to donation organizations.
I love these! Can’t wait to see them all put together!
Old 06-19-2023, 02:41 PM

RRB- How frustrating! It’s not easy to get appointments for anything these days. I hope they get everything resolved for you soon!

I got one block done today in between work stuff, it works for me. Thanks for hosting Heather, see everyone next time
Old 06-20-2023, 07:06 AM

I ended up going to the KC Regional Quilt Festival 2 times. The 1st day I went with 2 quilting friends. I went to a FMQ class using Gemone Machines. I thought about buying one, but I now I have 3 Pfaff at home in good conditions. So said, nope. Price was good. Then we wondered around the vending rows looking. I only bought 2 very small quilting kits. Then the 3rd day I went with my niece. We looked at all of the pretty quilts and again looked at all the vending booths. I bought small items, no fabric if it wasn’t in a kit. Then we went out to eat dinner at a steak house. It was a very relaxing day. So enjoyable. Plenty of walking around room. Very nicely organized. All the quilts were beautiful. So needless to say I didn’t get any sewing/quilting done this weekend. There is alway next week.