Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26

Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26

Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

i finished this donation top this morning

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584350[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails finished-top-42x52.bmp  
Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Nice quilts! I've gotten out and started quilting. I'm making two passes on this quilt, first with red doing the border and ditching the red pieces. then I'll go back with black and do designs in the blocks.

Almost done with the first pass.

BTW- here is the two finished tops I was working on during the last VQW.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM

QuiltnNan, Belfrybat and Macybaby-- nice quilts! Ya'll have been busy.

Quiltnmouse- thanks for starting this one sounds like you've been working hard! Glad to hear the Knee replacement has been healing well.

So far this weekend I've sewn two cloth wrapped clothesline trivets on the vintage Kenmore--they were in the UFO pile along with the materials for at least 4 more. I hadn't used that machine in a while and had forgotten how much I like it. It's fun sewing those trivets, but takes a long time because of wrapping the cloth and it's hard on my arthritic hands, which is why they've been sitting in the UFO pile for over a year. Maybe my hands will have recovered by later this week to do some more...

Meanwhile, I pieced the HST for Nov. 12- 18 and got them attached to my Temp quilt yesterday and I just pieced the HST for Nov. 19-25. Will get them attached tomorrow.

Am currently contemplating either a nap, taking Bubba for a walk, or searching through the UFO pile to see if there's something I can work on that won't be too hard on my hands....

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-26-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:13 PM

I've been working for awhile now on filling in the quilted Flying Geese that curve around the top of my current quilt in two different colours. I didn't think they showed as much as I wanted them to, so I am filling them in. Obviously, this is a close-up. When you are further away, you can't see all the individual lines. (Don't mind the dog hair. My dog lies down on whatever I'm working on as soon as I put it down and the only place I have to put it when I'm not working on it is on the floor.)
I also see that I have a seam that's come undone. Didn't notice that until I looked at the picture. Huh. Have to fix that.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584368[/ATTACH]
I also added another feather to this and did some more colouring. I think I'll add some free form cross hatching to the background to fill it in and then bind it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584370[/ATTACH]

Watson
Attached Thumbnails geesefill.jpg   featherscolour.jpg  

Last edited by Watson; 11-26-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:18 PM

Quiltmouse, thank you for starting this thread. I had forgotten about the VQW, but have been busy sewing also. I am really impressed with your progress recuperating from your knee replacement. After mine, I bound a couple of queen sized quilts before I was ready to sit at the machine and sew. I've gotten several tablerunners for gifts ready for binding, and Am getting ready to make a couple coasters.

Linda in MO
Old 11-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Watson- both pieces are looking great. I love the texture of the filled in flying geese- it's a nice contrast to the smoothness of the fabric. Your feathers are really good-- and the coloring adds to the dimensionality. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to quilt it.

Rob
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Quiltmouse, I seen that post of Happylab's and was worrying if anyone would respond to it. So I just flip over to this forum of the site and I see your new thread. Thanks cause I didn't want to offend anyone by saying let's do it. But, of course I get busy doing something else beside sewing or quilting. Really I am only a piecer, I do some hand quilting but currently I am working on piecing a top for one of my grandsons. He was the baby-boy of the whole family for seven or eight years. Then the last boy was born in 2001. But, back to quilting, that's another story all to itself. I'm working on a black and white coin pattern background with grey. Then he request that I put some fabric of the professional baseball and football team incorporated into it. So I had to figure that into the equation. I need to try to finish before the first of the month so that I can give it to my long-armer and get it back in time to sew down the binding. We fly out to Cali on the 15th of December and I told him that he could have it then. Not getting much done, prayfully I can get more accomplish tomorrow. I really want to get this finish. I don't do pix well, sorry.

Last edited by cherrybsixty; 11-26-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Wow, Macybaby, I'm totally impressed. Your sewing machine storage shelves are very nice too.

Marcia
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 PM

We've been busy this holiday. Friday, DD & SIL arrived to build another raised vegetable bed. First the water line was roughed in, then hardware cloth to keep out the subterranean critters, then start building sides. With 3 sides built and the forth with 2, 2x6 on the filling started; composted horse manure, sand, shredded leaves, pine tree clippings; then another layer, then 3 very large pots of used potting mix. It still needs fertilizer without nitrogen. The older and new beds will be getting covers. The older bed has onions and garlic. Ready to plant carrots, lettuce, cilantro. Then in a couple weeks I'll plant the new bed....... This is my Christmas present.

Saturday was recoup and started a pair of flannel pj's.

Today, put some more soil on the old bed, watered, cleanned up the old watering system. Then placed rocks so the dog would quit digging in another bed.... she has her favorite spots. Now, back to the pj's.

Tomorrow is back to quilting, don't have a current project ready to go. Do need to make something for the February Gallery installation.....SPRING. Thinking of creating a design from some old photo's of flowers in spring; daffodils, deciduous magnolias, pansies......? Need my creative hat.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM

I got a bit over half way done with the second round using black thread. Time to quit for the night - I have to be in the office tomorrow so that means hitting the road around 5:45. Always a bit difficult to get back into the swing of working after a long weekend!