Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26

Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26

Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend Nov 23-26

happylab mentioned in 2017 UFO/challenge-contests that we should have this unscheduled VQW, I keep looking for it, so here it is.

Mon 11/26 is my 3 week knee replacement anniversary.

I am sewing/piecing as an escape. Friends have scheduled meals brought in. I am running dishwasher and Sun 11/19 I managed the 3 ( steep height shallow step) steps down to the laundry so no longer need assist with that. I'm 61, live alone, no pets. It's just me, the sewing machines, the tv, and the internet.

12" crumb blocks-42
This weekend I finished sewing on sashing #1, and sashing #2, with cornerstone #1
Some of these need pressing.

Bonnie Hunter's Carolina crossroads:
I got the 120th block pieced

I roped together three 6' boards and pinned flannel sheet to it.

It only held 8 x 7 nine inch blocks

(Still Carolina crossroads)
Sewed four 2x7 units. Planned fifth col 2x7, it is sewed into 7 sets of 2. Planned lower half of columns one thru five, 2x5 blocks, those are sewed into sets of 2. I only have lower 10 blocks of fifth column to plan.

Sadly, I found a cut on a block. As it is a charm quilt (120 different fabrics), I have to rip it out & find something to use.

Before surgery, I kitted up 6-7 quilt tops I could finish/work on.

After I sewed all those sets of 2 this morning:

I didn't have the iron on.

Grabbed the unequal nine patch bin (42 blocks) sewed 30 or so 1st sashing to 9P, all 42 have 1st sash. Sewed 30 or so cornerstones to 2nd sashes. My count on that is 38.

This weekend, I have made about a dozen square in a square blocks.

My quilting friend came over Friday and saw my Jerry rig quilt design board and said, I thought you were going to build one. I said, that takes a trip to the lumber yard, and I'm not released to drive yet. She said give me your list, I'll go get them. (She has one of my credit cards for errands.) Delivered yesterday late afternoon. We'll see if my build plan works.

I need the bigger board to layout the 12" crumb blocks

Where are you at in your quilting weekend?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm nowhere haha
We just returned from DC so I'm catching up.
Glad you're doing well!!! Yay!
Old 11-25-2017, 12:35 PM

I'm painting cabinets, so not getting in as much sewing time as I'd like, but I had put that off for about five years . . .

Thursday I finished up the Rainbow Ribbon quilt top and the ornament quilt top I was working on during the last VQW, and yesterday and this morning I worked on the BH mystery.

Today my LQS is having a "Small Business Saturday" sale. 40% off if you buy all that is on the bolt, plus they had all their clearance fabric marked down to $3 a yard. I'm on my third load in the washer and have two more and I'll have it all washed and ready to put away. Ok, so I've not ruler folded and put away anything I've bought all summer - I have it stacked on the extra bed. Good thing DD has decided she, her fiance and two dogs will stay in a hotel room when she comes to visit in a few weeks.

DH is washing the west wall of cabinets, so I've got a bit more free time so plan on wandering out to the LA and doing some quilting on the top I loaded several weeks ago. I really need to get some tops quilted before I get to making more.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
a very wise move!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I've been cutting and sewing up a storm... to be continued tomorrow. These two tops are done already:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584326[/ATTACH]

Sew many projects, sew little time LOL
Attached Thumbnails point-red-flowers-60x40.bmp   20171125-creamsicle-stripes.bmp  
Old 11-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Hubby bought me a new metal shelving unit for my quilting room. Unloading the old shelving, deciding what to toss and what to keep, assembling the new shelves and re stocking the shelves has totally disrupted my projects, and my space. It will be worth it, the old plastic shelving was "leaning" and I was so afraid it was going to fall and collapse . It is smaller than the old unit, so a good excuse to toss stuff I will never use. But what a mess! And i did not get to start my Bonnie Hunter Mystery ..... Soon, life will be back to normal. But I did make progress on my Birdie Sampler Quilt and some hand embroidery work while watching football..
Old 11-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Quiltnan, those are pretty.

Hmm. On tablet. Switched to full site. Went to post a photo, can't find it. Oh well.

Played on internet. Then read, got drowsy, good, wanted nap. My knee started twitching a nerve every 10 seconds. Gave it a gentle talking to, rest is healing, etc and a little massage. Knee not having any.

Back to the sewing desk.

Carolina crossroads
5th column Pressed seven sets of two open, sewed them into 2x7 column

9P
Pressed open blocks, cornerstones/sashes, sewed 14
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post

I wish I had done this last year, very smart of you
Old 11-26-2017, 06:37 AM

I've been working on the nine-patches for the BH mystery quilt and yesterday pieced this wall hanging. I have no idea how I'm going to quilt it, so any ideas would be appreciated. Today I'm planning on working on a four patch charity quilt in "manly" colours. The four patches are left over from another project so am trying to decide whether to snowball blocks to go in-between them or just use squares.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails winter-wall-hanging.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I've been working on the nine-patches for the BH mystery quilt and yesterday pieced this wall hanging. I have no idea how I'm going to quilt it, so any ideas would be appreciated. Today I'm planning on working on a four patch charity quilt in "manly" colours. The four patches are left over from another project so am trying to decide whether to snowball blocks to go in-between them or just use squares.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584342[/ATTACH]
this looks great