Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 26-29, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 26-29, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 26-29, 2020

Old 11-26-2020, 08:17 PM

2 tops complete. Backings chosen sewn and pressed. Need to cut batting. I've been obsessed with my projects all day and keep sneaking off to the sewing room...but since that's directly off the kitchen - it wasn't exactly far or very sneaky.

Reminder to shop that stash people. Quilt calculator said I needed 4 yards and I found 2x2 yds pieces that coordinate with each other and the top and the binding. Winner-winner chicken dinner.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Power Poster

Fun to see and hear what everyone is up to. I have a project going all the time and since snowy weather prevented me from working on Tuesday I had an extra free day! Spent dinner up the road with FarmerSon and family. Helped out with the meal prep by fixing food here. We ate too much. Family Zoom meeting on Sunday with the other 3 families.

Got 2 borders added to a 9P quilt my sister made for Project Linus. I was going to finish it for our local chapter, but since she passed this summer, I opted to finish if for my brother who had a house fire a month ago. Now to find a backing for it, too. I have a quilt on the LA that I am ripping some stitching on. Then get another quilt on for my brother. Meanwhile between fixing food and now after we came home I've been sewing Flying Geese blocks in a strippy quilt I started years ago. Five strips of 27 FG--have half of it sewn. Tomorrow take a break and work on BF at the LQS. Then weekend free to keep on sewing.

Enjoy tomorrow folks.

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-26-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:47 AM

Woke up this morning, looked at the 11, 6 inch log cabin blocks...WHAT WAS I THINKING? Center block that I thought would be perfect is terrible. So now I will spend some quality time with my "redesign tool" commonly known as seam ripper.

While digging thru various containers, baggies of scraps noticed I really don't have a lot of light colors. No, I won't shop. Just do the best I can with what I have.

But first, coffee. My noise will wake up DH for him to take his thyroid pill.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:06 AM

[QUOTE=Julienm1;8437159While digging thru various containers, baggies of scraps noticed I really don't have a lot of light colors. No, I won't shop. Just do the best I can with what I have.l.[/QUOTE]
Fabric has 2 sides. If you need it.....
Old 11-27-2020, 03:17 AM

LOL I forgot about that trick. Center still is wrong no matter WHAT side of the fab I use. Have a "go to" pattern that sews up quickly.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:33 AM

Well this VQW snuck up on me in a major way, I wasn't expecting one, lol.

I actually do not have an active project going right now, I finished my niece's quilt top and now I'm just playing with my Dresden plate template while I wait for when I can order batting, backing and thread for my sister's DWR. I was hoping to get everything in December, but there was a huge jump in price for the batting I was going to use, which ended up being a good thing considering I would have ended up using the wrong batting for her, she wants a very low loft batting and I was going to go with something a little heavier. I have the thread in my shopping cart on Amazon, I'm also hoping to get her backing at the very least and wait for the batting to come down in price.

The Great Purge is still going on and the fiancé and I decided to use an unused bedroom for quilting, I've got a decent sized dining room table we'll be putting in along with all my quilt supplies for when it comes time to pin baste. I had to get us off of the floor after we did our nine-patch earlier this year, that just about killed us. So something about quilting is going to get done this weekend, just wish it was at my sewing machine working on a quilt. I'll be popping in and out to check in, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Attached Thumbnails julie-finished.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 04:32 AM

Absolutely no quilting yesterday on Thanksgiving. I am shocked at myself. Not an intentional fast from my machine but it just happened. Now I have more to do today, tomorrow and Sunday. Reboot and recalculate and reorganize my "to do list".
Old 11-27-2020, 04:37 AM

I surprised myself and made the binding and got it attached to my twin size quilt before going to daughter's for small socially-distanced Thanksgiving dinner. It was a beautiful day and watched granddaughters swinging and singing - the playset in their yard has gotten a lot of use. They were wearing capes which flapped nicely in the breeze!
Now I hand off the twin quilt to a friend who loves to hand stitch binding to the back God bless her!
I've also finished piecing the back of my smaller quilt so today will be sandwich day.
Keep on quilting everyone!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 AM

No sewing yesterday. I cooked an apple/cranberry dish to take to my son's. He cooked everything else. Ate way too much but had such a nice time talking and watching movies.
Today I am starting a WVU quilt for my secret sister at church. The ladies are getting together next Saturday to see who our sisters have been all year. I had to order some fabric for it and it came in this week.
Tomorrow I'm going down to the church to help get advent baskets together for shut ins. I made 30 zipper pouches to put in the baskets.
So I guess I better get off the computer and sew!
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 AM

No sewing for me yesterday, but today, my calendar is open and the sewing machine is oiled up and ready to go.

Quiltingvagabond…So cute! I like the intricacy of the pattern. It has a lot of fun stuff going on.
Cheshirepat…I love the rich, moody, rainbow colors in your quilt.
Retiredteacher09…Interesting blocks. It looks a little like a crumb quilt. I like it!
Railroadersbrat…Very pretty! So Irish looking!