Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Oct 3-5, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Oct 3-5, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Oct 3-5, 2020

Old 10-02-2020, 10:54 PM

I知 in, too! I removed the borders on the quilt that I知 fixing today. Tomorrow I値l pick some stitches next to the spots that need fixing and then I can hopefully sew them again without having to pull entire rows apart. I will probably also sandwich the Double Slice quilt I知 working on.

On a side note, I discovered while picking just how little I knew when I pieced this quilt. I used a sort of locking stitch (?) on the borders which was a pain to un-sew. I知 actually kind of glad I took this on as it shows me how much I致e learned and how much my skills have improved.

To round out the week, I was asked by a dear friend and her husband to make some quilts for each of their daughters today as Christmas gifts. I love them so dearly and I知 honored that they would ask me to do this for them. They want throw size quilts and have said they will pay me. I may go to their house tomorrow to talk patterns and fabric. If they want them for Christmas, I will need to start now. Thankfully all of my other work is without a deadline. 😊
Old 10-03-2020, 02:14 AM

Thanks for hosting! I am to the finish line for our guild's challenge due at the Oct. meeting. I will share photos of my challenge project after our Oct. meeting. (so the guild president doesn't see it on this thread.) Stay tuned.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:54 AM

Yay! I missed this thread when I looked last night, but here you are!!

I will be working on the newly released October block for the Penguin Promenade BOM, trying to sort out some framing for my Stars Sampler UFO before I figure out sashing and borders, and cutting my hair .

This week I'm feeling accomplished anyway, as I finally sent off a longstanding UFO to be longarmed. I'm a bit apprehensive since I've never had anything longarmed long-distance (by post) before, but am pleased that I got up the courage to try (and the top I sent is far too big for me to do myself). She has a waiting list, so it'll likely be next year before it comes back, but I'm fine with that.

So far this morning I have also hung some pictures in my sewing room (I'm doing a gallery wall of family photos, mementos, and sentimental pictures - but doing it very gradually). So that's productive too.

I'm going to try and post a photo of my design wall with the blocks for my Stars Sampler - I plan to frame each block in the greeny vine fabric, and sash with the cream rosebud. And then we'll see where we are (I'm making this one up as I go along, lol)

Happy Quilting everyone
Attached Thumbnails q-stars-sampler-october-20.jpg  
Old 10-03-2020, 03:29 AM

I've got a big piecing project (I'm having to assemble the top in sections, on point four-patches) that is 60% done. I also have a small Christmas angel panel quilt on the longarm probably 50% quilted. I have somehow acquired four quilt repair projects (argh!) one of which was paid for in a barter arrangement: this gentleman trimmed the overgrown bushes in front of my house. The repair job will be my priority, but in places I'm having to conjure fabric out of thin air!
Old 10-03-2020, 03:57 AM

Default VQW - Saturday AM update

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I am so "in". This was to have been my guild's retreat week-end but it was cancelled because of....you know what. I am in mourning.
So my list to do this week-end
1. Finish piecing blue donation quilt. Done!
2. Layer and quilt green donation quilt.
3. Make a choice of fabrics for baby quilt. (Too many choices and this is a special family baby.)
4. Cut pieces for Chemo Pouches Done!
5. Maybe a mask or two from the new pattern.
It sure seems like I did more than that but perhaps the results will show up today, Saturday. Happy quilting everyone!

Panchita, I like your star blocks and color choices. The one in the bottom right corner is my favorite. It love how it tricks the eye.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 10-03-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:06 AM

Hi everyone and I really need this weekend. I have a project, this month's round robin round that is in progress but I have stalled this past week. It's a lovely project with lovely fabric and I want to work on it but I've been distracted.

I had a wonderful 60th birthday road trip since last Virtual Weekend going through the fires and the plague from Seattle to Sacramento, CA and back. It rained just wonderfully after we got back, but now the rain has stopped and the smoke is back. It is just so bad... I do have compromised lungs and while it doesn't quite hurt to breathe, I feel every breath. I wake up because I can't breathe and cough for about the first two hours of the day. And then I sit around and grumble.

Well, grumbles be done -- I've got sewing to do and virtual companions to do it with. Thanks to Reggie and all of you!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:04 AM

I'm really hoping to get my medallion quilt assembled this weekend. I've got most of the components done now, so it's putting it all together.

This quilt started out as a center for another project, but after doing the center I changed direction and that quilt got a new center and this one ended up in a tote for several years. I joined the round robin going on right now and was going to use this center, but after working with it a bit more, decided I wanted to keep it for myself as I found quite a bit of yardage of border fabric that went with it.

This is what I did this morning. these will be the inner most corner. that frames the center. I had done the paper peiced corners earlier this week, and got it all cut out as of yesterday. So today was layout and assembly!

The last picture is the layout of the quilt - I only drew up one quarter, since they are mirrored pairs. The long empty "rows" are where the border fabric goes.
Attached Thumbnails imgp5074.jpg   imgp5078.jpg   imgp5079.jpg   imgp5080.jpg   imgp5083.jpg  

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-03-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:21 AM

Here this morning, have had one of those morning's where I have two left feet, two right hands, and half a pot of coffee later, things are finally settling down.

I put a new design wall up this morning, just a flannel backed tablecloth that I cut in half and I haven't had time to dig my steamer out to clear out the wrinkles, but my sister's DWR is on it. I did a good cleaning on my old girl and we're just purring along at a decent clip, I do love it when we're in-sync like this. I'll post a pic shortly of my progress.

Thank you, Raggiemom for hosting again, you are absolutely the hostess with the mostest!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:23 AM

I'm in. I need to cut and stitch together a binding for a baby quilt and also need to get that baby quilt to the longarmer. Also need to work on piecing backing for baby grandson's quilt that will be given for Christmas. I have 2 more I need to make for the other grandsons for Christmas but have only decided on one pattern so far so if time allows, can get some pieces cut. Thinking of a short trip to an antique mall for things to decorate my sewing room with. I'll probably run out of weekend before I get much accomplished though lol
Old 10-03-2020, 09:14 AM

Needed to make more coffee and fill my iron, so snapped a picture while I waited for it to brew.

I'm having fun putting this quilt together, but one thing I didn't expect is that I'm sometimes getting creases in my arcs when I press. It's not happening that often but when it does, it startles me, so I dug out my mini-iron, I'm hoping that'll fix the issue.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg