Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021

Old 09-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I'm joining as a lurker! I'm in the middle of a really good book, so not much sewing is going on here this weekend. But I'll pop in to see what all of you are accomplishing.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:51 PM

I've lost my quilting mojo lately. I'm hoping this weekend will help me get it back. I have several wedding quilts to work on and six chenille spreads to put binding on for the local women's shelter. I'm thinking three for boys and three for girls.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 PM

I am I this month. Waiting for this week-end and have plans laid out for each day. Already, missed my plans for today, Friday, but I got things done from another "To Do List" instead.
1. Quilt one UFO - already layered and cut binding for the quilt.
2. Sew Together Jacob's Ladder blocks - Press
3. Make 4 of the Hands All Around Quilt Blocks
4. Make 4 of the Harriett's Journey blocks.

That will be a mighty big dent in my Quilts in Progress list! Fingers crossed.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:13 PM

Checking in!

Well, a couple of things arrived in the mail today that I wasn't expecting until next week. My new sewing machine travel case arrived, so did a box of glue sticks, and my new 45mm rotary blades. I'm one that as soon as a case arrives, I stop everything to fill it with what I need, so I've been building my travel sewing case. Aside from a couple of rulers and my mini-iron, the case is full and is currently housing my computerized Uten sewing machine. I'll need to dig it back out eventually and give it a good clean and figure out the issue with the bobbin area, but at least it's now protected in a case and if I decide to take my Brother instead, all I have to do is swap machines and accessories and I'm ready to go. Fiance may be miffed a little later, I stole one of his surge protectors and slipped inside the case, LOL but hey, a quilter needs her power!

Re-organizing continues, the new thread and stand is up and it looks great where I put it, I love the color variety I got with the set, so I'm super stoked about using it. I ordered some top-stitching needles today, too, I have two metallics that the company recommended the needles when using them, so picked some up. Also finally found my 14mm rotary cutter, that thing has been hiding for months from me but I finally snagged it and put it in the pouch with my other rotary cutters. I feel the need to break down and buy a 60mm, does anyone else use them and what are the advantages? I'm at the curious stage, would like some thoughts before I dive into that purchase.

I'll have pics later of my case and thread, right now the fiance is not so patiently waiting for some Halo time and I need a break from working in my corner.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Railroadersbrat;8505900]Checking in!

I feel the need to break down and buy a 60mm, does anyone else use them and what are the advantages? I'm at the curious stage, would like some thoughts before I dive into that purchase.

I love my 60mm rotary cutters. I use them when cutting through multiple layers and also when I am making long cuts. I always use one when trimming the edges of my quilted quilts before applying the binding. Also actually prefer them when just cutting yardage. The one thing that is harder to do with them is when you are doing small cuts and curves. I think I have about 5 different sizes of rotatory cutters and I use them all but the 45mm and the 60mm ones get the most usage.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:41 PM

well...I have a lowly goal this weekend....to actually turn on the machine and do some real stitching! I have a couple of flannel quilts to work on and I am itching to get to two some other smaller table toppers that I have picked out the pattern and fabric for as I have gotten a couple of new rulers I want to try out. It is getting colder in Minnesota and when the sun shines...I am outside There may be some rain...so I hope to get to the stitching.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:25 PM

I finished sewing the seams on the Confirmation stoles. I had enough felt for 29. I also worked on my September Color Blocks. Tomorrow I plan to continue making the Color Blocks, work on my leader/ender project in between the Color Blocks, and do at least one block of the UFO sitting in a box on the floor waiting patiently for me to resume working on it. Lol!

sewingpup: The MN weather temps look to be in the 70s for a while. Today was certainly a gray, drizzly day in my area of east central MN so it was the perfect time to spend some time sewing.

I look forward to reading about all of the projects.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:35 PM

I’m in!!! I have a five day weekend from work ……….. woooohoooo. I have a baby quilt that needs to be finished and I need to finish unstitching 2 sides of my unity top to get that straightened out.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Stopping for a while to check in again and get something to eat. More re-organization progress, I'm to the point now where I'm moving things around and finding better places for them. Swept the floor just a bit ago, now I'm sitting down eating. The only thing left really is to wrangle all my cords into Velcro strips and then I can start sewing.

Pics are my new thread and travel case, love them both and can't wait to sew with the new thread!
Attached Thumbnails threads.jpg   travel-case.jpg  
Old 09-04-2021, 03:37 AM

Admitting lack of progress yesterday, I just drooped and dragged around all day... but I woke up this morning and got the table cleared off and Bernie set up which took a little more than just plugging it in. The guys at my husband's shop trimmed the acrylic insert that will fit into the inset of my new-to-me table, but they were a little timid and I still need 1/4" trimmed off -- but now I know it can come off the back end, we trimmed the first time on that side and it is getting a bit narrow. For now, I've set the height of the machine so I can use the quilting platform/extension instead of the acrylic insert.

I'm not used to sewing at this height, but I really want it for the quilting part of things. I'll see how I do with piecing, I might go back to having the machine at table top height most of the time and just drop it for quilting, or maybe I can adapt.