Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016

Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 AM

Not getting much done this weekend. Washing machine conked out yesterday and computer crashed about 3 hours later. DH went on a rant so I left the house and went shopping. I did manage to finish 12, 16 patch blocks. Willl post pics later.

I hope everyone stays healthy. We have too much in our stash to get ill.

BTW, has anyone seen my ripper?

Last edited by Twisted Quilter; 09-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the condolences on my SIL's passing. She was much too young....

OK, the denim quilt is looking good.

Dotty, I love your blocks! Love your hand embroidery, especially.

Macybaby, your maze is coming right along. Needleturn applique always scared me too, but after doing a whole quilt top of hand embroidery, I felt I was ready to try it. It's really not bad once you get the little turning technique down. Doesn't take that much practice. Much easier to learn than FMQ! I'm already looking at patterns for another Hawaiian quilt after this one is done.

I realized the pic I shared didn't show the dolphins very well, so here is another, now that the applique is mostly done. Now you can see that it's mama and baby dolphins together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557470[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02771-small-.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 AM

OK- I'm liking that demin quilt.

Sew biz- thanks for showing a close up, I hadn't realized that there were baby dolphins in there. Love your choice of the batik for the background, looks just like water.

Jan- yum! There's nothing like homegrown tomatoes. In fact, Guy Clark, one of my favorite songwriters wrote about them. Our tomatoes quit producing when it got so hot, (well, except for the cherry tomatoes, but they will produce no matter what). After getting some spectacularly huge tomatoes off the Brandywine and lots of delicious tomatoes off the Cherokee Purples we've been for several weeks without slicing tomatoes from the garden, but now they have set some more fruit, so hopefully we'll get another batch.

I was going to try and get the twister quilt sandwiched and quilted this weekend, but when I went to my stash I realized that I was out of backing fabrics, and when I pulled yardage I realized that I don't have enough of any of the assorted yardage unless I do a lot of piecing for the back and I don't want to do that for this quilt. So after searching Connecting Threads, and MSQC I finally landed at Marshall's dry goods and found a very nice royal blue batik with subtle florals in a largish print that will go nicely on the back, and it was only 8.99 a yard for 108" wide! YAY! This is the first time I've bought fabric from Marshalls, but I seem to remember that several people on this board have been happy with the fabric they got from them. So, now I think I'll work on a quilted art piece that is a collaboration with another artist. Trying to decide exactly how much quilting it should get before I send it back to him for his additions....

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Love the variety of work shared...my current projects are utilitarian in nature...found a 2 yard piece of navy and red plaid flannel that will work for a backing. While waiting for the glue to dry on the pictured quilt I started piecing with 8" squares and have one more strip to sew on the top...I have been looking at the one on the floor and decided it needs something extra, so have cut out a white circle from an 8" denim square to applique a baseball in the lower right corner...what a difference and there's no red stitching done yet..
Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 AM

I got the binding finished on my Boston Streets quilt and got started on a bunch of 4-patches for something new. I also made 3 fabric belts!
Attached Thumbnails bench.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 AM

Wow I'm amazed by aIll you're getting done this weekend! I'm getting some house things done but not as much quilting as I hoped. I did play on the Featherweight Friday which was fun. My husband ordered me a quarter inch foot for it which was just delivered a few minutes ago actually! Tomorrow I'm going to be working on my pineapple quilt with a couple friends. Now that I have the two freezers defrosted, I have a toddler size quilt to sandwich and hopefully quilt Tuesday afternoon. It's a Christmas present and needs to be done by this coming weekend so my parents can take it back home with them. Otherwise, I would have to mail it. Jan, I'm glad your finger isn't hurting this morning, that doesn't sound like fun!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
I got the binding finished on my Boston Streets quilt and got started on a bunch of 4-patches for something new. I also made 3 fabric belts!
This is beautiful, Rebecca. Is it Kaffe Fassett fabric?
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557472[/ATTACH]

Here is one of 30 star blocks I am quilting - 8 more to go, then the borders.
Attached Thumbnails 20160904_145455.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Love the quilted flower on your Allietaire centers, QV! Your fabrics and colors are wonderful too.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:20 PM

The baby quilt is ready to be assembled. All 20 blocks finished. I am not likely to get much else done. I put everything away because tomorrow we have company....that was unplanned but I will enjoy the socializing.
Maybe I will get in the sewing area after they leave.

I can't believe the beautiful work that is shown here. It seems like you are all accomplishing a lot this weekend.