Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition >

Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition

Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition

Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM

I envy all of you being able to sew this weekend. My son and 2 grands came up for a while on Saturday. Sunday we spent going to the cemeteries and then taking my Mom out to dinner. Today I made 3 salads, cupcakes and pulled everything together for a picnic with son's family and daughter's family. We had a wonderful time. Left just in time - it rained all the way home. Still have to pick up the kitchen tonight. Maybe I can sew tomorrow. Happy Memorial Day to all of you. You certainly were an ambitious bunch!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM

nhweaver, your quilt and granddaughter are both beautiful!! I've been working slowly, but I have been sewing this week-end. Working on a tumbler baby (child's) quilt that had been sewn together, but was not wide enough to my satisfaction, so I did some ripping and re-sewing on it. I plan to applique (machine) some flowers on the borders, but not there yet. Thank you everyone for the encouragement and sharing you did.

Linda from Missouri
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
You didn't say what type of machine, if it's not computerized, take out the bobbin and thne unclip the area where the race hook is, take that out and clean any threads dust etc. replace everything.

Make sure that the small wheel on the big hand wheel is tight. Oil the machine, oil and clean the needle arm, that could be frozen because of dust.
I'm not sure what the race hook is. I'm using a Singer Touch and Sew (model 758) with drop in bobbin. The only way to wind a bobbin is to rethread with the bobbin thread. I clean out the bobbin area after each bobbin, although I did search a little deeper and found some more lint.

When it seizes, the top thread is only part way around the bobbin. If it's really bad, the top thread has bent the curved metal piece on the bottom right (at the front of the sewing machine), and the bobbin casing (? what holds the bobbin in place) has swiveled. I've pointed this out to the service guy the last three times it's been in for service, and he's never replaced that piece.