Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition >

Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition

Virtual Retreat - Extreme Home Sewing Edition

Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 AM

Up and ready to begin..first to tackle the lone star UFO..Just watched a few videos on the Y seam, so hoping it goes OK...If I can get the top pieced I have something to take to work on when we go to the family BBQ Monday..have to have something to do when everyone is out swimming, since I can no longer breathe in the heat..I can't sit and watch tv anymore..too boring! Later when I have to run a few errands I need to get a little fabric to add to what I have for the DGD bow tucks purses..They want them to match the quilts I just made them, but I think I will be short on one fabric...SO off I go-will check back later!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 AM

I'm in also. Haven't sewn for about six weeks since knee replacement surgery. Think I've finally turned a corner and am ready to finish some of my UFO's!! Do we check in on this thread?

Linda in Missouri
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Well, my quilting ideas came to a screeching halt when the toilet decided to malfunction. So I have taken a trip to Lowes, got the part, and fixed the toilet. Now to get down to the sewing studio and get going. I have lost my momentum. Good thing you guys are around to spur me on.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM

I'm making blocks to go in a memory quilt for a recently widowed friend. She wants some blocks and symbols in the quilt to reflect some of her husbands favorite things. Here is a block I finished last night. Can you tell what it is? I'm working on a paper pieced block next that I'll share when I finish later today. It may take me awhile, because PP isn't exactly what I do best.

Last edited by DebraK; 05-25-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I'm making blocks to go in a memory quilt for a recently widowed friend. She wants some blocks and symbols in the quilt to reflect some of her husbands favorite things. Here is a block I finished last night. Can you tell what it is? I'm working on a paper pieced block next that I'll share when I finish later today. It may take me awhile, because PP isn't exactly what I do best.

Crab?? I have the 4 corners for the lone star cut..now to cut the triangles.....While cutting, I cut down the leftover pieces of muslin for my string quilt..I try to cut down scraps as I cut projects now, so I don't get overwhelmed with scraps..I have a few boxes already waiting to be cut down- don't need to add to it..
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 AM

Late start here and work a half day tomorrow BUT I'm in. If work is quiet I can continue there (It's a quilt museum)! I am enlarging rubber stamps to make appliques with the makers approval. Have to string some blocks for the background. I look for the fastest and easiest backgrounds because I love applique and can't stand spending too much time piecing!! The purple owls are already a top and off to the quilter. The little girls with a teddy in hand are for today. Later gator.
Attached Thumbnails retreat.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM

I have three days off too and I wrote in my calendar SEW! SEW! SEW! So far, haven't done any, catching up w/chores. So today may be a no go but tomorrow and Monday are MINE!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 AM

yes, thank you ;-) I copied Lucy Fazely's idea from "March of the Crab's".

I've yet to get up the courage for a lone star. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM

I just got the binding sewed on the vintage quilt, just have to fold and stitch down to front by machine. This is a charity quilt, so I want it to be easily abused, so everything is done by machine. Will post a pic when (if) I get finished. Time for lunch now.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM

Just finished hemming the work pants... and I would have finished the skirt but I couldn't find the marking on it, so it will have to wait until the owner can let me measure it again.

My DH wanted to have some friends over for the Red Wings game tonight so I will have to take a break to clean up a bit but I'm so far happy with how my weekend is going!

Its so great to hear about the projects, and the crab block is really cute. I love all the pictures. @applique - those look very ambitious! I hope to get something done today worth photographing.

@amelia, a virtual retreat is a support group here on the boards. We get working and post pictures/comments to encourage each other in our crafty endeavors.