Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Visited my new Joann's today

Blog Entries
    Just moved here and had to visit the local Joann's. What a shock. Everything was locked up, all the rulers, even a 4" fussy cut ruler for $6.00 had a lock on it and you had to get a clerk to unlock it for you so that you could buy it. Problem was no clerks around. I can understand locking up the expensive scissors, but a $6.00 ruler seems a little over the top. Don't think I will be going there to much

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've never seen such a thing. :shock:

Trust me, they walk away. I worked at a Joann's once.

I haven't seen that yet either.

Blog Entries
    It's just a sad commentary on society. :cry:

Mine doesn't do that. It's a sad comentary on society isn't it?
    Sue

That would be one Joann's I wouldn't be shopping in.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    As a former shop owner in the Dallas TX area, I can undertand a management decision to do this; but one had better have enough cleraks available to work one-on-one with a customer who wants to touch and examine several items before buying, too. It's just poor management and customer service not too!

Jan in VA

i've never seen that. i have 3 joann's near me and nothing is locked up.

Blog Entries
    I can understand if they have a lot of theft in the area. Sad that our society has lowered it self like that.

I've never worked at JoAnn's but have worked in several retail stores. Everything walks at one time or another, easily if it can slip into a large purse, like a ruler. Sorry, it sounds like a bummer, especially if they have no help.

Not locked up here either. You might want to be careful in that neighborhood!

They need the locks because they don't use enough clerks to deter the thefts. And that won't change just to open the locks!! Once again we are ruled by the minority of shoplifters.

That's sad if the problem of walking away is that bad.
    Our 3 Joann's in my town aren't like that. Now the Accuquilt I got today, was in backroom, just box on shelf. That is understandable. The dies that go with for $75 was just hanging up, no lock.

They likely lose a bunch of sales just because it is locked up as well. Would you search for a salesperson to unlock a 6 dollar ruler? I know I wouldn't be bothered. We don't have JoAnne's down here, but we do have Hancock fabrics, and while they don't lock things up, its frustrating finding someone to help you on the salesfloor.

You know, I would write a letter to the CEO of Joann's, with a copy to the store mgr. - something like - I noticed you keep such and such locked up, I wanted to buy one, there was no clerk around to help me, so I went to your competitor and bought it there.
    Would be interesting to see what response you got.

Wow, It can't be that bad, can it?

Our store has some things locked up- mainly the scissors, rotary cutters & blades. I don't hesitate to go up to the register or cutting table to ask them to send someone to help me if needed. I worked for JAF in the 80's & the theft problem we had were entire BOLTS of fabric were being stolen! It was the expensive silks & crepe de chines- they would yank out the bolts, stuff the fabric into whatever they were using & discard the bolts under the tables. It was a hard problem to deal with becuase the way the fabric is displayed there are a lot of blind spots in the store. I guess the same could be said today- the size of the stores & the way they are set up makes for a lot of places a dishonest person could pocket stuff. We ended up stapling the fabric to the bolts when they came it, but that took a lot of time.....sad- huh?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    Our store has some things locked up- mainly the scissors, rotary cutters & blades. I don't hesitate to go up to the register or cutting table to ask them to send someone to help me if needed. I worked for JAF in the 80's & the theft problem we had were entire BOLTS of fabric were being stolen! It was the expensive silks & crepe de chines- they would yank out the bolts, stuff the fabric into whatever they were using & discard the bolts under the tables. It was a hard problem to deal with becuase the way the fabric is displayed there are a lot of blind spots in the store. I guess the same could be said today- the size of the stores & the way they are set up makes for a lot of places a dishonest person could pocket stuff. We ended up stapling the fabric to the bolts when they came it, but that took a lot of time.....sad- huh?
    I did go to the register (1 clerk only) and asked for help, she told me the person at the cutting table would help me, she told me to take a number, I took # 79, THEY WERE SERVING # 61. Needless to say, I did not buy the ruler. My DD also wanted some decor apples, but all of them had a big bite out of them, Some kid had a party. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I did go to the register (1 clerk only) and asked for help, she told me the person at the cutting table would help me, she told me to take a number, I took # 79, THEY WERE SERVING # 61. Needless to say, I did not buy the ruler. My DD also wanted some decor apples, but all of them had a big bite out of them, Some kid had a party. LOL
    That's too bad- I would have been fired if my store had service like that!

Wow, that's annoying. Our new one is to open at the end of the month, hope it's not like that!

I worked for House of Fabrics in the late 80s as well (before they became Joann) in a very small store. It was in a mall, so it was like a galley - long and narrow no corners or places to hide. As you described, whole bolts of fabric would disappear from practically right in front of us! The thieves were bold and they didn't care. Finally, we ended up not being able to drape the fabrics on the bolts. They were all wrapped and tucked (like in a quilt store) so that there would be nothing hiding the empty bolts that had been stashed under the tables.

Very sad. I hate it when I go into a store and I see that they have to have things locked up.