Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • VQW--July14-16, 2023 >
  • VQW--July14-16, 2023

• VQW--July14-16, 2023

Old 07-15-2023, 05:02 AM

Made virtually no progress on big pink thing, but got distracted by the scrap pile and cut/trimmed quite a bit. Here's to doing better today since it's supposed to be every bit as hot in spite of storm yesterday evening.
    Old 07-15-2023, 05:57 AM

What does VQW stand for? I'm new to the term.
    Old 07-15-2023, 06:14 AM

I have the third and last of my Bonnie Hunter mysteries on my longarm. The other two are quilted and bound. I think I have about 4 passes left and really, really, really want to get it done today and bound tomorrow. Then I am going to pull out the Bernina 590 from my cabinet and insert my 475 which is going to be my main piecing and sit down quilting machine. The 590 I want to start embroidering with. These have been ungoing projects for the past three months so I really want to make some headway on them. We are in the middle of a Canadian wildfire smoke invasion so not a good day to be outside so hopefully I will get the sewing done but I also have to get outside and water my small garden. Have a fun and productive weekend everyone.
    Old 07-15-2023, 06:37 AM

Good morning, everyone

Well, last night was really not a lot of fun. We rushed around the house trying to batten down the hatches because there was this huge storm complex headed our way that looked quite ugly and spectacular in the same breath, only for it to fizzle out to pretty much normal summertime thunderstorms for us the moment it crossed our county's border. There was a lot of lightning, a lot of thunder, some rain and wind, but nothing like they were telling us to prepare for, which was 70mph straight line winds, hail to the size of quarters and torrential rain. I'm glad that we didn't get all of that, but I worry about the people that did, my sister called last night to tell us that Kansas City was slammed pretty good and that at least 70,000 were without power for several hours. So needless to say, no work was done on my GFG as we waited for the sky to fall. Today is going to be blessedly quiet, but a bone chilling 90* with an index of 95* and it's only going to get worse as the week goes by.

Raggiemom - I'm not sure how it came about that I have claustrophobia, I've been that way for as long as I can remember. It wasn't so bad for a while, as long as I knew there was an exit that I could clearly see, I could stand being inside small spaces, but then in 2014, it ramped up to a whole new level when I had my stroke. They ran an MRI on me then, with and without contrast, I was in the machine for about an hour and a half, but I had fallen asleep and when I woke up, everything was dead silent and I had no idea what was going on. I started to panic, hit the panic button I don't know how many times, started to hyperventilate, it seemed like forever before the slab started to finally move and I was in a full blown panic attack. Since that time, I've changed my medic alert bracelet to state 'Open MRI's Only' and I tell everyone. Whoever dropped the ball yesterday is going to get an earful when I have to reschedule the appointment. It was my fault, too, I know that because I didn't stop them and say 'woah, wait a second, I'm too claustrophobic for that thing', but I had rescheduled that appointment four times and I figured since it was without contrast, I could handle 30 minutes if I kept calm, so I tried anyway. If anything, maybe now they'll take me seriously because it'll be noted in my files.

So today, I'm just slowly waking up and then I'll start in on my GFG. I figured out the design problem, I'm trying to do one with diamonds and triangles for the path, but I'm using the wrong color and the diamonds and triangles just isn't doing it for me. Luckily, I don't have that many to take off and I'm going to use hexagons for the paths. So once I get moving and get something to eat, I'll pull out the other color I have, cut them down to strips and get the new paths cut.

I have pulled working on labels off my to-do list, since I didn't get anything really started last night, I just don't think I'll have time to do them. I'll try at some point this week, I'd really just like to get to my rulers more than working on my labels. There's three that I can use for my niece's border, at least one that I can use for my sister's, I'd rather get that worked out. I haven't done any ruler practice in over a year, I think it's time.

How did everyone else in the Midwest fair with those storms last night?

Greaterexp - VQW stands for Virtual Quilting Weekend.
    Old 07-15-2023, 07:40 AM

Nesie, Thank you for working with Honor Flights. My DH is a Vietnam veteran and he went on an honor flight this spring. He said it was very moving. He is still talking about what a wonderful experience it was.

Getting ready to start ditch stitching my Around We Go quilt- I'm using Monopoly on top and bottom line in the bobbin. It's the first time I've worked with Monopoly, so fingers crossed it will go well.

Rob

Old 07-15-2023, 11:55 AM

Railroadersbrat, I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I had my first MRI. Kept my eyes closed till the third scan and when I opened them became a raving maniac screaming get me out of here now! It takes two strong valiums for me to even do the "open" MRI.
    Couldn't post till I got my account on the Quilting Board setup on DH's computer (couldn't remember the password). Mine's in being cleaned - got hacked. Finally, am home for a VQW and couldn't post!
    Working on my first Dream Big Panel I started last weekend. Didn't get to work on it this week. Have used Pro Stitcher on my old longarm but an old version. The new longarm has Pro Stitcher Premium and it's a steep learning curve - very different but love the panel and it's getting easier.
    Old 07-15-2023, 12:20 PM

Well I got project 2 done. I saw this on YouTube and thought it would be good for a Xmas exchange. Now I’m not sure it is good enough for that. But, I will find someone that would like it
    Attached Thumbnails img_1740.jpeg  
    Old 07-15-2023, 12:59 PM

Not much sewing so far this weekend, I have done cleaning and shredding. Baseball game was only 2 hours long (took 40 minutes to get there), but it is always hard to see the DGS team lose. They boys are just so much smaller than the other teams. But they gave it a good try. The weather here is hot and smokey, just did not want to be out but had to watch the GS play. Did shopping for hubby on the way home now time to start sewing.

Celia, that is too cute, I can see that on the wall but not sure about the cutter in it. Railroadersbrat at least you tried to get the scan and you did warn them ahead of time. Rob- Good luck on the new thread and always love to see your pictures you are talented.
    Old 07-15-2023, 01:00 PM

Making progress on fmq.

who makes monopoly thread? Weight? Fiber content? Lint? Special attributes?
    Old 07-15-2023, 03:55 PM

Virtual Quilting Weekend. We share on this thread what we're all working on. And if you're able to, post pictures. People do different things--shop for new projects, organize, clean, think about projects. Some people even actually quilt Seriously, if you have any other questions, please ask. We are happy to answer them.

Originally Posted by greaterexp
    What does VQW stand for? I'm new to the term.