Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VSMS:  treadle, electric, HC store with needle in fabric? >

VSMS: treadle, electric, HC store with needle in fabric?

VSMS: treadle, electric, HC store with needle in fabric?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Hi Vintage folks. I still haven't figured out how to get my new topic posts to show up in the virtual section. Somebody PM me how...

Question: I see a lot of pics with old machines in a needle down position, with a swatch of fabric (needle resting in the fabric). Is there some reason for this? Should old machines, treadles, HCs and early electricfieds be stored this way when not in use (then lowered into their cabinets, etc.).

I just happened to notice this in a lot of pictures.. .

Thanks for clearing up the mystery for a newbie...
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM

It would seem to protect the needle from getting bumped and possibly bent when storing. I do remember being told in home ec class that the presser foot should always be left down when done. Don't remember needle position being mentioned...way back when....
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
It would seem to protect the needle from getting bumped and possibly bent when storing. I do remember being told in home ec class that the presser foot should always be left down when done. Don't remember needle position being mentioned...way back when....
I remember the presser foot down too but cannot recall anything about the needle either. Home Ec was light years ago for me also. It does make sense that maybe it keeps the needle from being jostled and possibly bent should something like a cat happen to come across a delectable hidey hole like an old machine cabinet with lots of space. Mine does it all the time. If it's for sale, possible the seller is trying to show that the machine still sews, whether or not the fabric was sewed by that machine? Just some thoughts of mine about this topic.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 PM

my home-ec teacher, back in the 70s, taught us to do that, so i always just did. my latest machine is electronic, so i do not do it anymore because the needle moves when it turns on. it was a hard habit to break, but i still do that with my other machines.