Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra
can someone suggest who are the best fabric makers to look for in fabrics for quilting?
IMHO, the best & most consistent fabric manuf. are Moda, Michael Miller, Northcott, Blank Textiles and Free Spirit. Their fabrics have the best hand and quality. Westminister too.

Marcus, Benartex & some Windham prints seem to be of lesser goods, not as smooth and less color quality

and what's happened to RJR & Thimbleberries ?? don't even see them much here in TX anymore ??
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM

thank you, this will be most helpful when I shop for fabrics
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM

I personally like wal mart fabric but ours just went completely out of the fabric part of their store so I'm not sure where I'll go now. I have a real tight budget.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 PM

I do not buy much at walmart. Ido get Quite a bit @ Joanns. They have started to carry better material. I am careful about what I buy. I also buy @ quilt shops, they do sometimes carry poor quality. After awhile you can tell by the feelof it.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Take a look at fabrics.com. Great prices for cotton and good quality. I only use walmart ot joanne fabrics for charity quilts as I just don't know how much of a beating the quilt will take or if it will be cherished. If I spend 9.00 a yd it better be cheriished!!!
Barbara
Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Thank you Naomi I will certainly check it out, always like to check out new sites.

Donna

Originally Posted by New Quilter
Originally Posted by Donna P
I tried to find that site and couldnt...what is the exact address for sew spider?

Thanks
Donna
Hi Donna...I sent the info I think you were asking about but forgot to put your name/quote on it so that you'd see it...
The Spider's Web Fabric & Quilt Shop
Please email([email protected]), call (330-594-7119) or stop in the Shop for additional info, class dates and times. ...

www.thespiderswebfabricshop.com/ - Similar
Hope it helps...Have a great day...Naomi/New Quilter/NJ
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM

I go to quilt shops and hit their sale racks...usually buying better quality fabric such as Moda, RJR, etc for the same price you can pick it up at Walmart or JoAnns. I'm not happy with either Walmart or JoAnns. Hancock is a little better but I much prefer the Quilt Shops. I judge my quilt shops on the fabric they place on sale and there are plenty of them.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM

I know a lot of quilters prefer to use only top of the line fabrics, and that's fine. Some of us make a lot of "utility" quilts or for kids that will get dragged around, washed thousands of times, and maybe played with outside. For those quilts, I use what I "feel" is good for the project. That includes WalMart and Joanne fabrics. You have to be personally happy with the fabric that you put into your quilts. A quilt made with lesser ($6-8 per yard) fabrics will be just as loved as one you spent $10+ per yard on.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ebony
fellow quilters i am sorry.
i had no idea this question would generate such strong feelings.
it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
am i making it harder than it should be?
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
i can't seem to get it right.
please forgive me if i stepped on anyones toes.
first thing you need to know is there is no "right things" for everyone. i've been sewing & quilting since my grandmother took me in hand when i was 4-5 and what was the "right thing" for me at one stage of my journey is not the "right thing" at another time....RELAX and enjoy the process, because if you don't enjoy the process, you won't enjoy your finished product either...

when i look at a quilt, especially one of my grandbabies', i can still feel the joy and anticipation i had when making it.....when that happens, that's "RIGHT'
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
I am often buying and using, for the backing, good used sheets from the thrift stores......I look very closely at the sheets, to be sure they are not faded, not stained, no holes, etc.......and often, I find sheets that are in very good shape, and they make pretty backings. I dont do hand quilting, but for the machine, they work just fine. Most of the stores sell them for around $2.00 regardless of the size (twin, king, whatever, same price) so that is a LOT of fabric for the price, and usually its good fabric, and good colors and etc. Just thought I would mention this, for those of us who are on tight budgets and MUST have the fabrics to keep on quilting !
i thought i was the only one who does that...but really what is better that fabric you know won't shrink, and is big enough to start with to use for backing...!