Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-mart lady told me today....... >

Wal-mart lady told me today.......

Wal-mart lady told me today.......

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melslove
they took out the by the yard and put in precuts so i am assuming we will be getting the by the yard fabrics back. I have heard that since they have remodeled our store and removed the fabric dept. that our store has lost lots of money.
we lost ours 3 years ago and there is NO evidence of getting it back any time soon..despite the fact that there is NO fabric within 30+ miles and that is a HIGH end quilt shop that 80% of the people in this Rural farm area can not afford to shop at!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by charlotte625
now that is good news....
bet Sam Walton turned over in his grave when they started
doing away with all the fabric.
I bet Sam Walton rolled over in his grave when they stopped buying AMERICAN!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Realize that WalMart is bringing back over 8000 items they had taken out with a great majority being in the super walmart grocery part.

One of our Walmart just got revamped and they lost half of the sewing department and left over bolts are not good quality but they do have a nice section of fat quarters and cuts up to two yards.

They also got rid of the scrapbooking section.

Our Walmart is suppose to be revamped in August and word still is that not much of sewing will be left if any so I'm thinking it will be mostly prepared cuts like fat quarters, 5" stacks and such and if there is any bolts left the quality will be no different than what it is now.......inferior.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 AM

Yeppe!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:35 PM

They just finished revamping my Walmart. Still only precuts.
They used to have all the rows nice and long so you could cruise down all of them and pick up things you did not know you wanted. Now it is all chopped up into sections going in different directions. So no more cruising and Im saving money. Thier loss.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM

We still have one about 1/3 the size of the other one and we don't have patterns.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 AM

Our closest Walmart that had the best and busiest fabric department closed it down and are in the process of their rebuild of the store. The new set up is horrific I have to say... and the precuts of fabric in 2 yard bundles is very disappointing. There is no variety and the quality is kind of iffy. It's very sad that they did it. I know that I have stopped shopping at Walmart since I have less reason to go there... I have been getting my groceries now more at the grocery stores closer to me... I wonder how my store is faring now that they destroyed our fabric department..

Oh and the prices of the 2 yard cuts is $4 a yard - $7.96 for two yards. I can probably do better at Joann's or Hancock's with a 40% off coupon and have a better selection... so I haven't supported their new *improved* fabric department.

I was told that the other stores in town - we have 2 with really nice fabric departments and 3 more with mediocre departments - will all be losing their fabrics in the upcoming year or so.. and the return of the fabric is just the precut junk they are selling at our store. It's the way my town is going.

I'm so glad that others are actually getting cutting tables back. It's a glimmer of hope at least.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

lucky you!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM

I have stopped going to Walmart, it's an hours ride one way. Needed something in that area one day so stopped in. Fabric dept is still same small size. needles,thread,scissors had occupied one side of the aisle and fabric on the other, and a portion of center aisle. This time was about the same, but the thread, scissors was replaced with what looked like some new different type of display shelves that had all sorts of things to make jewlery. Chains, catches items like that, and they were just getting put up, had not finished yet. Certainly not enough to take a whole side of the one aisle. Threads, scissors, needles were compacted to the front of this display shelf. I don't know what they are doing, I hope they bring back fabric. Don't have any idea how they would expand the area.
How it looked when I last saw it a few weeks ago were not to favorable