Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal Mart's new precut fabrics >

Wal Mart's new precut fabrics

Wal Mart's new precut fabrics

Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 AM

I have found that the WM fabric varies in quality. Just be careful before you buy - I bought some fat quarters to make totes - very nice quality - a 170 piece charm pack - nice quality - some of the others not so nice
Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 AM

My local WM just 8 miles away carries nothing, but the super WM 22 miles away has lots of prepackaged material and thread! Not bad, I was very surprised. guess it is better than nothing, but I shop at Hancocks or my favorite fabric store.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Neither of the 2 nearby WM have any fabric yet...will check back every couple of months tho...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
Our WalMart has some great fabric on the bolts, but the FQ's, jelly rolls and other pre-cuts leave a whole lot to be desired, thin, flimsy and color assortments that are "out there."
I bought a few Jelly rolls at WM for $9.00. Found the EXACT JR at Joanne's for $24.99 ! Even with a Joanne's coupon, WM was cheaper. Some strips are thin but workable.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
Our WalMart has some great fabric on the bolts, but the FQ's, jelly rolls and other pre-cuts leave a whole lot to be desired, thin, flimsy and color assortments that are "out there."
I agree with Farmer Girl. The pre-cut fabric I saw/felt was 'rough' - just felt cheap. They have cheap fabric that has a nice hand to it, too. But the precuts - well, I left them there.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM

I've discovered that different Wal-Marts, even within a somewhat close area can have widely different selection and quality of fabric. Apparently the fabric departments do have some leeway in adding to the selection they get automatically based on their location, but very little input regarding what they get sent to them. I know at ours they got asked 'what do you need more of'... But at the one in Waxahachie they had both the precuts in the set display and on another shelf across the cutting table from the display was a smaller display with what looked like photocoopied labels on groups of fat quarters that were LQS quality tied with curling ribbon and at a really good price. Our Wal-Mart ended up putting the original batch of jelly rolls on clearance because nobody wanted to pay that much for them, and didn't seem to care for the selection available anyway. I did get some of the batiks in the clearance ones. Ours now has the display and I don't know how well it is selling as I don't go there as often anymore. Didn't really see anything that 'spoke my name" in the display.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 PM

I am amazed at how varied fabric is from manufacturer to manufacturer. I used to LOVE Hancocks blenders, but they don't carry them anymore. I recently ordered from J and O Fabrics and was extremely disappointed with my blenders. They had cut off part of the selvage so I couldn't read the brand. JoAnns sells the exact same fabric for less. I refuse to shop at a store on-line that sends poor quality fabric. I cannot do the feel test on the fabric, so I have to assume they wouldn't charge quilt-store prices for chain store fabric.

I guess when we get a good fabric at Wal-Mart, we are thrilled because we don't expect the quality to be all that good.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM

I know I saw on the VIP Cranston website that they were offering pre-cuts in FQs, jelly rolls, and other yardage at selected Walmarts. So probably those of you who found good ones got those.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM

At our Walmart FQ are $3.95 each and we have very little variety my LQS sells FQ of all her fabric from $1.95 and up!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pam1966
I know I saw on the VIP Cranston website that they were offering pre-cuts in FQs, jelly rolls, and other yardage at selected Walmarts. So probably those of you who found good ones got those.
I just mentioned that on another thread. I bought fall fatquarters from Vip a few days ago. they are color coordinated and they are beautiful. I am so pleased with the fabric ,I am going back to walmart tomorrow to get another set.