Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot Adventures >

Walking Foot Adventures

Walking Foot Adventures

Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 AM

I just started using my walking foot. Takes a bit to get used to, doesn't it? So far I am thrilled with the results. If anyone has hints for success I am more than open to any and all suggestions.

I am making a quilted fabric which is going to become a "vintage" apron, reversible with a pocket. Vintage is from the sixties, yikes I'm getting old. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll let you know where I got the pattern. I figured that making a quilted piece would be a good trial for using the walking foot since I am just making straight stitches. Kitty cats on one side and cherries on the other, for my niece who has three kitties.

So hope this is encouraging to anyone who is considering using a walking foot.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM

I'd love to get hints on a walking foot too. I've tried mine a few times, but still very novice.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM

LOL - Maybe instead of a baby boomer, I'll start referring to myself as Vintage!

Originally Posted by BettyGee
I just started using my walking foot. Takes a bit to get used to, doesn't it? So far I am thrilled with the results. If anyone has hints for success I am more than open to any and all suggestions.

I am making a quilted fabric which is going to become a "vintage" apron, reversible with a pocket. Vintage is from the sixties, yikes I'm getting old. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post the pattern and instructions or let you know where I got it. I figured that making a quilted piece would be a good trial for using the walking foot since I am just making straight stitches. Kitty cats on one side and cherries on the other, for my niece who has three kitties.

So hope this is encouraging to anyone who is considering using a walking foot.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Ok, I'm not all that new to quilting but...what is the difference between a regular foot and a walking foot? I know the darning foot and button hole but not so much a Walking foot? Can anyone help??
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

At first I was simply not impressed with a walking foot until I bought a Janome6600P. The walking foot is partially built in and easy to change over. It is FANTASTIC...no puckers....nice advancing...even feeding!I use it for applying binding also!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM

When I bought my Husqvarna Viking in the mid 90's I was excited to get the walking foot for it...what a disappointment!
Puckers, uneven feeding, you name it. Later they came out with an improved version and I finally "got" how great a walking foot was!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Ok, I'm not all that new to quilting but...what is the difference between a regular foot and a walking foot? I know the darning foot and button hole but not so much a Walking foot? Can anyone help??
A walking foot has feed dogs on the top of the foot so it works with the feed dogs underneath and pulls the quilt sandwich through evenly. At least that is what it is suppose to do and so far it is working for me as advertised. I tried without the walking foot and had to rip out the seams because it was puckered all over the reverse side and the sandwich shifted. I though I had spent money for something I didn't really need, but I'm glad I did as it is working as advertised. I just need more practice with it to get to a point where I can do more than straight seams and stiitching in the ditch.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
A walking foot has feed dogs on the top of the foot so it works with the feed dogs underneath and pulls the quilt sandwich through evenly. At least that is what it is suppose to do and so far it is working for me as advertised. I tried without the walking foot and had to rip out the seams because it was puckered all over the reverse side and the sandwich shifted. I though I had spent money for something I didn't really need, but I'm glad I did as it is working as advertised. I just need more practice with it to get to a point where I can do more than straight seams and stiitching in the ditch.
Okay dummy me. The feed dogs on the walking foot are under the foot, not on top; but whereas feet are smooth and the feed dogs in the machine pull the fabric through, in a walking foot you have two sets of feed dogs pulling the fabric through. Does that make sense?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 PM

I just need more practice with it to get to a point where I can do more than straight seams and stiitching in the ditch.
Betty, that's usually the only time I use my walking foot - straight lines or very gentle curves. For curvier patterns like meandering or spirals or leaves or whatever, it's SO slow using a walking foot as you would have to pivot every time you want to change direction. Then it would be much easier to free-motion quilt using a darning foot. (Although it does take more practice to FM quilt.)

The other great time to use a walking foot is when attaching binding - everything feeds in much nicer and no more puckered edges on your quilt!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi BettyGee, Please show us your Vintage apron. using a walking foot is certainly helpful.