Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walking foot crisis >

walking foot crisis

walking foot crisis

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Beautiful quilt! I have also learned a lot from reading this thread...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I was going to suggest a dab of fray check on the back. You do need to come up with a quilting design that is more continuous, but you will still probably have starts & stops. Another way is to pull the bobin thread to the top when you start or stop. leave long tails, then when you are done, pull the thread to the back, tie off, then bury the tails in the quilt using a needle. YOu can get a self threading needle or a spiral needle so you are not trying to thread it every time. It is tedious, but that's the way lots of folks handle this situation.
That is a good way, but boy is it time consuming. :twisted:
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I was going to suggest a dab of fray check on the back. You do need to come up with a quilting design that is more continuous, but you will still probably have starts & stops. Another way is to pull the bobin thread to the top when you start or stop. leave long tails, then when you are done, pull the thread to the back, tie off, then bury the tails in the quilt using a needle. YOu can get a self threading needle or a spiral needle so you are not trying to thread it every time. It is tedious, but that's the way lots of folks handle this situation.
This is interesting........I have never heard if a self threading needle or spiral needle. Where can these be found? At a quilt shop I had went too, I saw them pulling up the bobbin thread, and was wandering why they did this.......now I know! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 AM

That is beautiful! I'm not really good at using a walking foot but after reading all the responses to your question, I may just be on the road to improvement! Thanks for posting everyone and have a great day!!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 AM

When I machine quilt I leave very long threads when I finish a design and start a new one. Then I take the top thread and thread it through a needle and take it to the back of the quilt next to the underside thread. I tie off the two pieces of thread and thread them to "bury" them into the quilt. It takes a little time but looks very nice.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 AM

It looks great and thank you for the question - helps me understand the walking foot - I am also very new to quilting and still learning basics.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 AM

I've tried to begin my quilting slightly away from the corner and then stitch over where I began - overlap the stitching. Maybe that will help.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:57 AM

What I would do is to bring both thread ends to the underside of the quilt. Then tie them off and then put some fray check on the ends of the thread before you cut them. This should stop the unraveling that your quilting is doing now. I have done this before and it does help.
Hope this works for you, let us know how it turns out.
Jennifer
Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to tell you more but I will tell you what I have found works for me.

First according to the instructions that came with the walking feet for both my machines, you shouldn't backstitch with the walking foot. When I start quilting I take 1 stitch and use the top thread to pull the bobbin thread through to the top of the fabric, then continue stitching. When I reach the end of the line of stitches im sewing I take an extra stitch then cut the bobbin and the top thread. I use the top thread to pull that last bobbin stitch up enough to use a pin to pull the bobbin thread thtough to the top. When I get a bunch of hanging threads I take the time to knot the two threads then use a needle to hide the threads into the quilting between the top and the batting. I have been told by others that this will secure the threads and it shouldn't come apart anytime soon.
I don't know if this makes sence but it is working for me but I will be interested to see if someone else has more ideas. Good luck.
This is how I do it as well. That way nothing will unravel and all the ends are hidden within the quilt.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM

Ladies - you are all fabulously helpful, as usual! I have tried the "right" way (pulling both threads to the top and reducing the stitch length for 5-10 stitches). It really looks great and seems very secure. Wish I had started it sooner!!!

I will do Fray Check on the bad spots. Do you think this product will make the quilt fabric stiff or leave a hard glue bump?