Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot Fell Apart >

Walking Foot Fell Apart

Walking Foot Fell Apart

Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Default Walking Foot Fell Apart

Blast it all! My walking foot just completely disintegrated in my hands. It's like a 3-D puzzle, or house of cards that suddenly fell to pieces. I have no idea how to get it back together and I'm usually pretty handy at fixing things. Does anyone know about fixing these gizmos? If not, can anyone recommend a sturdier walking foot for my Singer Slantomatic, 403A?

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Don't know, but I thought I would save some money by purchasing a generic unit. Broke after a couple months use. My generic one was plastic, the genuine foot was all metal. I would go for a brand name one.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM

I had one fall apart too....finally figured out it was because I was reversing it...was told NOT to reverse a walking foot...now I just stitch a couple of times in the same place to tie off a seam
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Get a Singer original WF. You can still find the vintage foot on ebay occasionally.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

I reverse my walking foot most all the time. It's noisy so I soaked it in oil for a few days. It was quiet, but not for long. I use my walking foot for piecing.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM

I would like to find a walking foot with a metal shank. The plastic shanks are the first thing to break for me, although I have had the whole thing fall apart also. Once I found a penguin WF at an estate sale for a couple of dollars. It was dysfunctional, but my friend was able to attach the little spring inside, and it worked fine.

Right now I have a slant WF that works perfectly on my 301 -- I just hope it lasts. The last two that I have purchased for my short shank Pfaff 130 have not worked correctly. It seems to be trial and error to me!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:03 AM

I have two that the bottom part fell off. I took one to the Baby Lock shop and they put it together, it just snapped into place, but it didn't stay one when I started to use it. The Juki did the same thing. I thought I just wore them out, no one has ever told me not to use them in reverse. May have to remember that.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM

I have a Viking walking foot that did not work correctly so i bought a new one for $37 on sale. I brought it home and looked at my old on and the arm that goes up on the crew was not moving nice and freely so I took it apart and watched how it went together and it was all gummed up with grimie stuff so I cleaned it all up and put back together and it is fine. I took the new one back.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
I have two that the bottom part fell off. I took one to the Baby Lock shop and they put it together, it just snapped into place, but it didn't stay one when I started to use it. The Juki did the same thing. I thought I just wore them out, no one has ever told me not to use them in reverse. May have to remember that.
I have a 1996 Viking Rose with a Viking walking foot. When I took it in for service, last year, they replaced the screw the walking foot arm sits on as it had worn down. Cost me $10.00 for that screw. They could not figgure out why the needle was rubbing the metal plate & told me to just narrow the stitch width. I figgure I just wore the walking foot out. I bought a new one as I was afraid they would discontinue it, but have not tried it yet.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM

I would buy a Singer not a generic one also. I misplaced mine for the Bernina and it was almost $200 to replace it. Thank God I found it.