Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot Line markers >

Walking foot Line markers

Walking foot Line markers

Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Default Walking foot Line markers

I have read where quilters on the board use the blue painter tape to sew a straight lines when quilting. My question is, I am wondering if any of you use the adapter you can insert into your walking foot to make lines? I have use this many times. There is one for each side of the foot. I also wonder how you decide how wide the stitch line should be apart so they come out even from one end to the other. Thanks for helping me with this. I don't know what the correct name of these attachments are for the walking foot so I am taking a picture.[ATTACH=CONFIG]505295[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505296[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505297[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2958.jpg   img_2959.jpg   img_2960.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I have always called it a stitch guide, but I'm sure there's a real name. As far as calculating the size, I just start by sewing a big "X" and make sure that I center it and either hit the corners or have an even distance from each corner. then I just pick a measurement and just start measuring from the original stitching. I try and sew on both sides of the original stitch line from upper left to lower right, then do 2 in the other direction, and keep alternating. I have the best luck alternating direction and starting from the center & working out.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 PM

I have used the guide to make parallel lines when using the walking foot. Sometimes I use tape to lay down the first line and then use the guide for the rest.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I have used that attachment when the lines are within the distance on the arm. The most important tip is....make sure your first row is perfectly straight or further lines get worse as you go.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 PM

I use this guide all the time , love it , like all things on sewing machine if you get it out and use it, it gets easier to use. Cathy
Old 01-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

When I tried using it, I discovered that it doesn't have a locking device to keep it from moving. If you are not careful, you can be off a bit and the next line you will be off a bit more. When marking with painter's tape, I always refer back to my original center line to make sure my lines are consistently straight. HOPE that makes sense. You can also use what is called a HERA marker by Clover. It just makes a crease in your quilt top. JAF has them in the quilting section and Eleanor Burns has used it on her show. But again, you need to make that center line and always refer back to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clover-Hera-...item19f3d75be2
Old 01-09-2015, 11:11 AM

I love my walking foot and I love the guides that come with it. I use the foot with and without the guides. The last quilt I quilted with my walking foot I quilted diagonal lines and just aimed my machine for the next corner. It's not perfect but it turned out pretty good.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all your advice. I will start in the middle next time and try the tape to see if it may be more exact. I noticed that the seam guide can move a little. I never heard anyone talk about this and I thought it was time to bring it up for myself.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:53 PM

My walking foot guide moves a little, too. I cut a piece of drinking straw to the correct size and put it on the guide bar so I can check it before I begin each row. Mine moves when I am moving the quilt to begin the next row, so this works for me.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:07 PM

I have used the seam guide both with my walking foot and with my regular foot. I love it. I also use painters tape on my quilts to mark lines sometimes...love that method too, but becomes a pain sometimes if I accidentally miss and stitch through the edge of the tape. As far as deciding how far apart my lines should be...I am a big fan of 2 inch quilting when doing straight lines, but I do vary from this depending on the size of the blocks. I have done straight line quilting anywhere from 1 to 3 inches so it falls out on the edges of the blocks and also down the middle (or if doing diagonal, stitching at each corner and through the diagonal middle of the block)