Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walking Foot

Blog Entries
    I was having some trouble with shifting of my fabric so I bought a walking foot for my sewing machine. Well now I have new problems. The stitches are real small, so I increased the stitch length and that didn't seem to resolve the problem. Did I waste my money buying this walking foot? :(

Is your fabric hanging or being pulled? Usually, the walking foot will not effect stitch length. Also, feed dogs should be up in the regular position for the walking foot to work.

maybe your pushing the fabric through. let the walking foot guide it.

Blog Entries
    Do you have it attatched correctly to your machine?

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking also that it is not attached correctly to the machine. The hook part must "embrace" the screw that holds the needle in place.

Blog Entries
    With so many walking feet available are you sure you got the correct one for your machine ?

You also have to decrease the foot pressure when using a walking foot. My Viking goes down to 3 for instance, from the normal sewing pressure of 6. That would affect stitch length because of the change in drag like Moonpi mentioned..

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    With so many walking feet available are you sure you got the correct one for your machine ?
    That was my very first thought too. Trust me, if you get the wrong one for your machine, it will not work! :roll: Yes, that's a bit of experience you are hearing. :lol: What type of machine are you using? I'm just wondering if there might be a problem with your machine that you are only now seeing because of the walking foot.

If it is the correct foot for your machine, take it off and reattach it and see if that helps. I know it sounds silly but sometimes this works, especially when threading a machine, but I think it might apply here too.

Blog Entries
    I am using a Singer sewing machine and I ordered the foot directly from Singer for the model of the machine I have, so I know I have the right foot. I will try again by adjusting the pressure. Thanks for the advice. :?

Let us know if that works. Good luck!

Hey MissM, just wondering how you and your walking foot are doing. Did changing the pressure help with the stitch length any? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Blog Entries
    I did and that seemed to solve the problem with the stitch length, and everything seemed to be going fine then suddenly I began having problems with the needle thread breaking. So I have re-threaded the machine, changed the needle, taken off the foot and re-attached it. For now I have given up. I am going to trying calling Singer customer service. :cry:

Sorry you are having trouble with your new walking foot. Hope customer service can help you.

I don't have any advice, but I'm wishing you luck! I am thinking of buying a walking foot one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM
    I did and that seemed to solve the problem with the stitch length, and everything seemed to be going fine then suddenly I began having problems with the needle thread breaking. So I have re-threaded the machine, changed the needle, taken off the foot and re-attached it. For now I have given up. I am going to trying calling Singer customer service. :cry:
    :( Well that isn't what I was hoping to read. I'm sorry. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I know I would be ready to stomp on the quilt and throw the machine out the window, though of course that's not an impulse I would give into. Still, it isn't much fun to be frustrated and I hope the Singer rep can help you with this!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    You also have to decrease the foot pressure when using a walking foot. My Viking goes down to 3 for instance, from the normal sewing pressure of 6. That would affect stitch length because of the change in drag like Moonpi mentioned..
    I had not heard this before. It really helped with my walking foot. I'd been having to gently help the fabric move--with less pressure on the foot, that isn't necessary. Thanks for this tip!!

Once you get the technicalities worked out you will love your walking foot. I use mine alot. It does sound like you need a consult with singer!

Blog Entries
    did you get your walking foot to work correctly yet? mine has a little arm that must be placed on top of the screw you use to change your needle. that helps it work properly.
    good luck

I so need to get me a walking foot.
    Hope you got yours working right.

Blog Entries
    Not yet, haven't been able to get through on the customer service line, either busy or long hold. Then I have been to busy a work to do anything else, so I just now sent an email to their customer service. It's not going to be as good as talking to some one, but I'll see what response I get. I just don't have time to be on hold forever when I work full-time. :? :?

Blog Entries
    I am using a Singer sewing machine and I ordered the foot directly from Singer for the model of the machine I have, so I know I have the right foot. I will try again by adjusting the pressure. Thanks for the advice. :?
    I just got a walking foot for my Singer sewing machine. I got the generic at JoAnn's - It says Walking Foot C - Part #10449C. Works like a charm!!!! I was really scared of it at first, but I called Singer and they said the generic worked just as good if not better than the Singer. It was $14.99 and I had a 50% off. I did a Quilts for Kids quilt and I was absolutely thrilled with the way it worked, how easy it was to put together, considering I had never seen one before much less used one. Tried it on some leftover fab and batting and away I went. FUN!

I didn't push or pull, I just let the machine do its thing and I just went along for the ride. I love it when things work out for me. Edie

Maybe this will help, maybe not... I was having problems with my machine before I got it working correctly... the tension was all messed up somehow- the thread kept breaking as well.
    Have you adjusted the tension on both the top and bottom threads? Once I got that adjusted correctly to the project I was working on, it worked like a charm.
    Good luck! I FEEL your frustration!

Blog Entries
    if your needle thread keeps breaking
    -you may have a tension issue of some kind or
    -your needle and thread may not work and play well together

singers are generally good machines but they can be a bit persnickity. consider starting from the bottom up.

take out the bobbin. in fact, take off the stitch plate and make sure the area under and around your bobbin case is clear of gunk, fluff, and other shmutz.

now, make sure you're using the right weight thread in your bobbin. a 50-wt or 60-wt thread is more likely to perform well in a singer than anything heavier.

moving up, check to make sure the entire top thread path is clean and clear of junk. there could be a snippet or two of old thread or bits of lint stuck in there somewhere.

the next thing is to ensure you are using a nice sharp needle. my singer throws a hissy fit if the needle is dull.

are you using a brand of needle your machine gets along with?

is the needle the right size for the thread you're using? try using the next larger size needle.

now that you're all cleaned and re-threaded, top and bottom, attach the foot you normally use for piecing. test everything with two layers of scrap fabric.

if all goes well, test again with two scrab fabs with a layer of batting in between (test sandwich).

now, put the walking foot back onto the machine, making sure the little arm thingie is resting on top of the needle screw. run your test sandwich back through a few times. fiddle with the foot pressure and top tension if you need to. it shouldn't require drastic adjustments to work.

if everything goes well until you attach the foot, and you're absolutely positive the foot is attached correctly, then you can be reasonably certain there's something wrong with the foot.

Blog Entries
    Of course Patrice comes through with great advice! She is as good as a rep isn't she??? I sure hope you can get your foot working well...its no fun to be that frustrated :evil:

Blog Entries
    Well, after many tries I finally was able to get through to the Singer Customer Service. I had to call the main switch board and have them put me through and then it was a 30 minute wait. The out come was they are going to send me a replacement foot. :-D However, the bad news is that item is on back order and i will have to wait until January. :( Bummer. Oh well, it's been a struggle, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast