Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Foot

I would like to know your thoughts on using a walking foot. Do you like it, hate it, love it, when you use it, when you don't use it.....

I have never used mine and am wondering if it's a little miracle just waiting to happen for me.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use mine for quilting and binding. I think it helps keep my stitches more even. My poor little machine has a tough time with thick things and the foot helps it along.

A walking foot is a good investment. I own a Janome 6500 and even that workhorse needs the even feed that it gets from a walking foot!

Blog Entries
    Many people just love them, I have used mine one time on potholders and it helped quilt them.

I waited for years to purchase mine, it just seemed so expensive. Now I wish I had not waited so long. I love it. It really makes a difference. No more little puckers on the backs! I hated getting to the point on a project that I had to quilt it , because as good as I was getting onthe piecing , the back would show I was still ... an novice. I would spend hours smoothing , and smoothing and still little puckers. My walking foot and spray basting changed everything.

Blog Entries
    It would be hard for me to quilt without mine LOL
    I use it for binding, quilting, sometimes to add borders on too. Once you start using it? You will wonder why you waited so long :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    my machines have built in IDT and I use it for both piecing and machine quilting, love it!

Love it! No more fabric moving in it's own direction!

pab

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness, take that walking foot out of storage and start using it.Once you try it,you will never be happy without it.Good luck pab

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    It makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD! The loftier the batter, the MORE difference it makes. Sometimes I use it for piecing, too ... just so I won't have to change feet for a few quick seams. Definitely invest in one, no question.

Definitely makes a difference in quilting. Necessary to machine sew binding too.

I made the mistake of taking off the two screws on my walking foot, thinking I would oil the insides - instead it fell apart in about a hundred pieces in my hand! :lol: First time I'd ever seen one do that!

Unfortunately, it was the only even feed foot that I had for low shank, straight-stitch machines. I am sure missing it now as I'm sewing the binding on my last Christmas quilt. I should just switch over to a machine that has a working even feed foot, but none of them are set up with extra tables around it to hold the quilt.

Definitely get out that even feed foot and try it - you won't believe the difference it will make! :)

My machines all came with a walking foot so I didn't need to buy one. I've always used a walking foot for quilting and binding. Wouldn't be without it :)

If you don't have one built in, run don't walk to a dealer and get one.

I had one with my Viking - which my minister has borrowed.

Now I have Pfaff's with the dual feed technology, IDT, and don't need a walking foot. I love my Pfaff's. Much easier than when I had to use a walking foot.

ali

Use mine for quilting as many others have said. It makes ALL the difference in the appearance of the back - no more puckers :-)
    I didn't realize what was causing the puckers when I quilted some placemats - now I know!!! Wish I had investigated sooner.

Use mine for quilting as many others have said. It makes ALL the difference in the appearance of the back - no more puckers :-)
    I didn't realize what was causing the puckers when I quilted some placemats - now I know!!! Wish I had investigated sooner.

I got a walking foot and it must not have worked right although I am sure I got it on right. I have now bought a Brother machine that came with a walking foot. Sounds like I need to get it out and work with it.

Some of these don't work very well. I got one that has smooth, shiny chrome plating on the underside of the foot. What kind of good could that do? It doesn't grip anything at all.

And you do have to find a brand that lines up with the feed dogs to get the best results. If you're using an even feed that's made for straight stitch on a zig-zag machine, you're not going to get the best results. (and vice-versa)

So, you may have had it on just fine, but perhaps the teeth on the even feed weren't lining up right or maybe there was too much or too little pressure on the presser bar? Mechanical stuff is only a little behind computer stuff in the number of possible annoyances they can give you. ;)

Blog Entries
    Since I only hand-quilted, but wanted to try machine quilting a few years ago, I bought it for my Brother. At the time I was making mostly queen-size quilts so never attempted to machine quilt-it sat in the package until someone suggested using it for sewing on binding-I would NEVER sew binding now without it! I also made a smaller quilt that I tried SID and it was great! My new Brother has the same walking foot included, so I have a spare-(they are the same)I am now making some smaller quilts and will definately continue using it! It sounds a little funny when you first use it-but you get used to it!

Blog Entries
    I love a good walking foot - be careful of the cheapies-they could turn you against them! I use mine for anything that is a little difficult to sew - especially satin and lace! Learned this while making a wedding dress and after dealing with the fabric trying to pucker, put the walking foot on, lowered the pressure on the foot and voila! no more puckers! Have you ever tried to sew minkee? Yech! But the walking foot helps a lot. By all means, get it out and use it!

Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    my machines have built in IDT and I use it for both piecing and machine quilting, love it!
    Ditto. So does mine and I love it!!!

I LOVE my walking foot

Blog Entries
    I use mine on the Babylock Espire for straight-line quilting, straight-line fancy stitches in the quilting, and putting on binding. Love it. It's not much trouble changing the foot but I do have to remember NOT to select any stitches that go backwards. (Walking feet don't like backwards motion.)

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    Ditto. So does mine and I love it!!!
    Mine too. The Pfaff IDT is awesome.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast