Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot >

Walking Foot

Walking Foot

Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lystra
can you tell me more about the instructional classes? I'm supposed to start one the 27th....is it worth my time?
Are you asking about the Bernina class? If so, my opinion is that the instructions given were by someone very versed in this machine and I was not but a novice. I took notes but alas they meant nothing by the time I re-read them. Also, I thought I would receive some sort of a book about how to really work the machine and the stitches that it already head, no such luck. I know that I can go back to more classes BUT there is a charge. I really am sorry I purchased this because once I signed the check it was like "okay we are done, now you are one your own". Perhaps it was just the area I dealt with BUT then again, I have been bitten. Feel free to email me with any questions.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Are you asking about the Bernina class? If so, my opinion is that the instructions given were by someone very versed in this machine and I was not but a novice. I took notes but alas they meant nothing by the time I re-read them. Also, I thought I would receive some sort of a book about how to really work the machine and the stitches that it already head, no such luck. I know that I can go back to more classes BUT there is a charge. I really am sorry I purchased this because once I signed the check it was like "okay we are done, now you are one your own". Perhaps it was just the area I dealt with BUT then again, I have been bitten. Feel free to email me with any questions.[/quote]

you can contact Bernina USA and report the seller to them. The Bernina company takes those lessons VERY seriously...and they are to be given to you for one year FREE.....I know, I had 2 shops in AK all but shut down because they would sell those $3-$5,000 machines to unknowning people who lived 400 miles out in the bush....then those people would come to my beginner quilting class and not even know how to turn their machines on! We are talking mostly educated natives who were easily talked into buying the BEST...when by Bernina rules, the shops could not sell a machine to people who lived more than 75 miles away, as the people had to be able to come back for their lessons....the shops in Anchorage did not care, nor in Fairbanks..as long as those machine were shipped and arrived safely they were DONE with that customer....our BErnina lady here is a real rare gem...she will work with you for the life of that machine and YOU....
My newest Bernina is a 830 record...when I found it at an estate sale she was able to look up the owner and tell me all I needed to know about the life of the machine...it was purchased in 1973 brand new by a music teacher, she took all of the classes for one year....but NEVER sewed on her machine, only the shop one...her machine was never used....I bought it at her estate sale earlier this year for $400! I took in to the Bernina lady and she nearly cried...she said, it is like buying a rolls royce and putting in the garage with a tarp over it.....
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM

The classes I'm asking about are the ones you take after buying the machine. I just bought a Bernina 350PE and they are 9 classes that are about 2 hours long and I was told they are very helpful and informative. My machine is pretty simple to use without alot of bells and whistles so that's why i was wondering if it was worth the time investment. I live about 30 miles from the store.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
My newest Bernina is a 830 record...when I found it at an estate sale she was able to look up the owner and tell me all I needed to know about the life of the machine...it was purchased in 1973 brand new by a music teacher, she took all of the classes for one year....but NEVER sewed on her machine, only the shop one...her machine was never used....I bought it at her estate sale earlier this year for $400! I took in to the Bernina lady and she nearly cried...she said, it is like buying a rolls royce and putting in the garage with a tarp over it.....
Your Bernina must be the same model as my old Bernina 830. Mine has couple million sewing miles on it and still runs great.