Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Walking Foot-Used for anything other than straight stitches?

Walking Foot-Used for anything other than straight stitches?

I just got a walking foot for my machine this past weekend and just wondering what else it could do. I could have sworn I saw someone recently on QB post a link about making curves with a walking foot or something like that. Unless I misread it, which is more than likely, lol.

It's still as straight stitch, but yes it will quilt in any direction that you guide the foot. Long slow curves are wonderful with a walking foot.
    Last edited by DebraK; 12-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

It will do gentle curves, and straight lines, also great for difficult fabrics to sew, for sewing plaid. It has a lot of functions. I use it mostlty for crosshatching and applying binding.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

The walking foot can quilt gentle curves. I also have used it to quilt using decorative stitches, such as the feather stitch....I love the look! It can also be used to do the mock hand quilting stitch. The walking foot helps the layers go through the machine at the same "rate" so you don't get puckering on the quilt.

I use the decorative stitches on my machine with the walking foot. I just did a decorative vine looking stitch with the walking foot. The way i look at it is...if the needle doesn't hit anything, i'm good to go.

Blog Entries
    Be careful. Some walking feet will only do straight stitches, they won't go backward or do decorative stitches. Check before you start experimenting with these. You can always do the gentle curves. There's a book that has info on this this technique: "Foolproof Machine Quilting: Learn to Use Your Walking Foot - Paper-Cut Patterns for No Marking, No Math - Simple Stitching for Stunning Results "

http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof-Mach...chine+quilting
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have used my walking foot to do some final decorative stitches on wide border areas, helps move the layers with ease. I also use it when attaching my final binding.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can do many decorative stitches with the walking foot on my little Brother machine. It doesn't seem to mind a bit.

I use my walking foot to sew on my borders. I always cut them to fit, and I found that the walking foot fed the layers through more evenly.

The walking foot is good for sewing stretch knits like in hemming knit pants, etc. Also sweat shirts/pants. I use mine a lot.
    MaryB

The link below has some good ideas

http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html

I use mine for borders and attaching binding. Zigzag for stay stitching edges in heavier fabrics as in potholders; for stretchy fabrics instead of serging when too lazy to take my serger out; crosshatch quilting.

I never thought of using my walking foot for anything but straight stitching......so thanks for the useful links.

Thanks everybody, that helped alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
    And thank you so much for this link, it gave me a few good ideas and I enjoyed reading through it. Are there any other quilting blogs like that?

which brother machine do you have, I need to get a walking foot for mine, it is a brother ls 1217I believe.. thanks!

Blog Entries
    My Pfaff has the IDT engaged for everything I do...regardless. Feeds the material evenly...it has literally been engaged since 2007

Z

Open toe walking foot

Quote Originally Posted by Appa Valley View Post
    I just got a walking foot for my machine this past weekend and just wondering what else it could do. I could have sworn I saw someone recently on QB post a link about making curves with a walking foot or something like that. Unless I misread it, which is more than likely, lol.
    Open toe walking feet are available for many machines. These allow you to use more of the decorative stitches than you can with the narrower regular walking foot. Check with your machine dealer or google it.

I make a lot of purses. I use my walking foot to sew the fusible fleeced fabric pieces together. It also help when doing the final topstitching of the purse top perimeter. Love my walking foot!

Great thread starter!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by sharonineasttn View Post
    which brother machine do you have, I need to get a walking foot for mine, it is a brother ls 1217I believe.. thanks!
    That's actually the same machine I have. Which part of east Tennessee do you live in? If you live anywhere close to Chattanooga then you can go to Chattanooga's Sewing Machine place. http://www.sewingmachinechattanooga.com/ The employee there gave me a Singer foot and stated that it would fit my Brother machine, I just haven't tried it out yet.

You know, I have never even heard of an open toe walking foot. Have to check that one out, should be interesting!

By the way, can anyone tell me how to do this multiquotes thing?

By the way, can anyone tell me how to do this multiquotes thing?
    Never mind this last part, found out how to do it, lol.