Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wall hangings and quilting -less- than the manufacturer's recommendation >

Wall hangings and quilting -less- than the manufacturer's recommendation

Wall hangings and quilting -less- than the manufacturer's recommendation

Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM

For now, I've bound it as was and put it up. It does seem to be controlling the climate down there a little better. I figure I can always add quilting to it later if I want. I love the JN quilts as well, they scare me though. I'm just not an accurate enough piecer to do one justice. One of the shops about 1 1/2 hours from us is JN certified and I remember being in there one day and the instructor (who was selling me fabric) said you can do that! If you can sew a straight line you can don one! I looked at him and said I -can't- sew a straight line that's why I free motion! The gal behind me almost spit her coffee out.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I would echo the scallops until your about an inch from the corner scroll, then do an inside echo of the curly scroll.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:53 PM

If you gently hand wash it if/when it needs it, and lay it flat to dry, I bet you'll be OK. You could even add some temporary thread basting just before washing if you are really worried about it, and just pull it back out when you're done washing & drying.

I have a pair of those same panels that I bought for curtains too! But I haven't made mine yet.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:04 PM

Speaking as a quilter who makes mostly wall quilts at this point in my journey, gravity will most likely be more of a factor for your vertically hung quilt than laundering will be. Rotating it 90° every three months would probably do a lot to prevent batting sag if you want to try that.

Sparsely quilted horizontal bed quilts are much less apt to wind up with droopy pockets of batting than than sparsely quilted vertical wall or window quilts. And when a batting specifies a 4" quilting distance, that means in any direction, so those 6"x15" open areas would actually be 4 times over the suggested density. Just wanted to point out some other things besides the laundering for you to consider.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM

Joyce, I had been thinking something similar to that too or some swirls to echo the borders. It's possible that my main objection was to the thread color choice.

Sewnoma! You have great taste The only reason I got to this one is because I was waiting on a quilt top that was supposed to arrive but ended up being late. I didn't want to start something big so I took care of a couple of smaller projects and that was one of them.

ghostrider - more points that I hadn't thought of. Thank you so much for that. The curtain can only be hung in one direction so for now until I finish the 2 quilts waiting for me as of tonight, I will just rotate it 180 degrees if needed and add some more quilting to it once I'm finished. At least by then I will have a quilting plan for sure!