Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN >
  • WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

• WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 AM

I believe Wal Mart's more expensive fabric is every bit as good as Joann;s. Can it compete with quilt store quality? I don't know. I do know that I won't be paying $10-$12 a yard for fabric. Maybe if it's a very special quilt I will but not for every quilt I make. The $5 fabric is especially good for table toppers, runners and holiday projects. So glad they finally came to their senses. We told them so.
    Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Great news.... I will be happy shopping at Walmart again.
    I always enjoyed the fabric dept. but have stopped going there for the "bargains".
    Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 AM

My husband says its all over the news about how much market share Walmart has lost, and even the Dollar stores are giving them a run for their money. Studies have shown that some prices at Target are even cheaper than Walmart's. And while I will never return to Walmart for my regular shopping (that has to do with having panic attacks everytime I was in their store...too loud music and announcements (and not all in English!) and too many crowded aisles!!), my hat is off to all you who faithfully wrote letters, complained to managers, made phone calls, and made your voice heard. I will venture in on occasion (but never alone) to buy fabric now....I will benefit from all ya'lls hard work...

so this quilter says.........THANK YOU. In a day and age where the LQS fabric prices are skyrocketing, it will at least be nice to have some options when I just gotta have my fabric fix!!
    Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 AM

It's not happening in our part of the country. They are getting rid of sewing department in two of our stores here in next couple months. And they have already gotten rid of it in all the other stores in the area.

One of the two stores that will lose it have already started downsizing and putting everything on sale regarding fabric department and are not getting any more in. One in our town is also not ordering anymore here and trying to get rid of what they have.
    Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 AM

The walmart in our town does carry little squares of fabric, individually, and I've bought some but have found they are very poor quality, very thin and cheap. Hope they put fabric back in our store, would like a wider variety in my home town.
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 AM

Our Walmart is one of the few that did not get rid of their fabric but downsized tremendously. I am glad to see that they are bring it back for the rest of you that don't have it at your local WalMart.
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    I believe Wal Mart's more expensive fabric is every bit as good as Joann;s. Can it compete with quilt store quality? I don't know. I do know that I won't be paying $10-$12 a yard for fabric. Maybe if it's a very special quilt I will but not for every quilt I make. The $5 fabric is especially good for table toppers, runners and holiday projects. So glad they finally came to their senses. We told them so.
    I can go to a neighboring town at a quilt/sewing shop there and get good quality fabric of there $1.98 table every week and it is a whole lot better quality than even Walmarts so called expensive fabric. I was in Walmart yesterday to get thread and looked at there so called $5.95 a yard to $7.95 a yard and it is so thin you can actually see through it. I would not call there most expensive fabric of good quality. I can go in that same shop I just mentioned and get a better quality fabric and pay $5.95 to $7.95 a yard.

I won't even buy fat quarters anymore at Walmart at $1 each because it is so thin you can see through it. Also alot of Walmarts fabric states that fabric "alot of it" "is made of unknown fibers" but yet states 100% cotton. Now how can that be. LOL
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 AM

THANK you! I know they have lost a lot of business, I may have cost them a couple K from myself in the past couple years. Some months I don't even go there anymore and before
    it was at least once a week or twice. The area where the fabric
    was is now electronics and how often do people buy a new TV?
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 AM

I sure do hope you are right!!!

I have gone to Walmarts web page and sent email to them about our stores (even though they are in same town they have different zip codes) to see if this is true. I sent the link that you gave to them in my email.

If I get a response I will let you know what they say

thanks for the link cheryl :thumbup: :D
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Only thing is it's cotton & POLYESTER fabric they carry on their $1.00 tables.