Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Fabric Good News

I totally understand where you are coming from! Joann's and Hancock were driven out of my town when Walmart went in. Now I have to drive about 15-20 minutes to just get to a fabric store. I too have purchased fabric for last minute costumes, plays, etc. I have also ran to Walmart for fabric for a quick tablecloth, back drop, etc. for a church/school function. I really miss that $1 a yard fabric!!! It seems that Walmart is not the "people's store" anymore. Since Sam died, I believe his dream went with him!

I was at walmart the other day and they are still adding bolts of fabric, saw some cute Halloween and Xmas stuff.

:)

I was in my local Walmart the other day and checked for fabric and voila, a whole aisle on both sides!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoSews
    I was in my local Walmart the other day and checked for fabric and voila, a whole aisle on both sides!!!
    Oh! I forgot. There were no bolts. Just fats and half yards in packages.

That is great news! I do hope that my Walmarts will still carry fabric. We have about 6 Walmarts within a 30 min driving distance and 3 of them have great fabric departments... I was at one over the weekend and was told that their fabric department was going to go away in March when they get remodeled. I was sad as it is probably the best Walmart fabric department in town... maybe they will change their mind before the restructure happens (fingers crossed) I do hope that at least ONE of our stores will keep their fabric department. That would be at least a small consolation....

Thanks for the info!! I will def write them and pass it on -
    Our WM's here have NO fabric, only odd fats that have been thrown on the craft aisle. Scissors and rotary blades are the only quilt notions they have left -
    and like Texas Granny said, it isn't just Quilters who need fabric - it's also the sewers and Moms who need fabric & items for kid projects, school projects, church projects, Girl Scouts etc I was a GS leader and shopped WM then for craft & sewing supplies
    Hopefully they will realize that there are LOTS of quilters AND sewers out there !!

Thank you for that info. I know I don't go to Walmart as much as I used to. I always spent too much money ( my DH says. I guess he's a little happier now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam
    I was at walmart the other day and they are still adding bolts of fabric, saw some cute Halloween and Xmas stuff.

Where are you at in Louisiana?
    Ours stopped carrying fabric about 6 months ago. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    It took a bit of surfing around the walmart.com site to find the right place to send an email. Look at the bottom of the page and click "contact us". Then go to "email Walmart Stores" and there is a comment section. That's the only place I could find but I think that the email only goes to the actual store and not to corporate.

But anyway, I did my best and complimented them on the good service, value and selection at the fabric department.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Thanks for the info--our Walmart has NO fabric, not even FQs or pre-cuts. I will send an email and encourage my other quilty friends to do so. Our store isn't that old but underwent a remodel and that's when they eliminated fabric and made it a crafts aisle. I have never seen any one in the crafts aisle!!
    Same thing in ours. I wish the fabric was back.

It's about time WM started to listen. Some of us have been emailing them for over 2 years. That was one thing I pointed out to them, I don't shop KMart, Meijers,or Target because they don't carry fabric. Seems to me if a retailer wants to make it, he needs to be different than the competition. Besides, where else am I going to get the thread at 2 in the morning to finish my project?

Blog Entries
    A walmart.com
    click at the bottom Contact Us

Then select the box that is titled Walmart Stores (not Walmart.com) at the bottom of the box click email Walmart stores
    then select Company feedback and questions. After writing your email, then select send to corporate office.

I sent my email about fabric. I stated that quilters are willing to pay for quality fabric and they are buying it, just not at Walmart. Walmart is missing out on a multi million dollar a year business by not stocking quality fabrics and notions. I also said not one fabric dept. manager I have spoken to, except one, had any knowledge about sewing and no intention to know about it and that is hurting the sales of the sewingitems that are stocked because they are items not wanted by the sewers in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I just emailed them. That was a great idea. Now we wait to see the results.

I am emailing them right now!!!! Thanks!

Thanks for cluing us in about this. I just went to ww.com and sent them a LONG letter telling them how much business they have lost because of taking fabric out of their stores.

Did they ever read the number of signers on that big petition that began a few years back? Did that mean nothing?
    http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
    46861 have signed as of today................

We have one WalMart on the West side of Cincinnati that still has fabrics but no one is assigned to that department. It is one giant mess.

We have a new WalMart on the NorthEast side of Cincinnati that I am told DOES NOT have fabric.

I believe it was reported here than an organized picket line took place in Florida (If I am not mistaken) outside a WalMart and they refused to leave until the manager came out. He promised then the fabric dept would not be closed. Does anyone else remember that?

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Did they ever read the number of signers on that big petition that began a few years back? Did that mean nothing?
    http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
    46861 have signed as of today................

I believe it was reported here than an organized picket line took place in Florida (If I am not mistaken) outside a WalMart and they refused to leave until the manager came out. He promised then the fabric dept would not be closed. Does anyone else remember that?

June in Cincinnati
    I was told by a Walmart buyer if the store managers fought to keep the fabric it would still be sold. Most saw the fabric dept as a hassle and was glad to get rid of it.

Blog Entries
    I just called them and actually talked to a person (after pushing MANY buttons). Looks like no hope for our local Walmart (New Philadelphia OH) but I let her know the "new" arts and crafts center, or whatever she called it, was totally useless for a quilter. She said she would pass my concerns on for whatever that is worth.

Wonderful news !!!

Blog Entries
    I brought hundreds of dollars of fabric from Walmart. I e-mailed them a couple of years ago a number of times and got sewing and quilting friends to do the same to the effect "Please do not discontinue your fabric" after their employees began telling people that it was going to happen. Instead all of the Walmart stores within a hundred miles or more closed out and put in some kind of precut pieces, if anything, except the Walmart store in Pearl,Ms. I drove to Pearl a couple of months ago and went in the Walmart Store prepared to buy several pieces of fabric and guess what! - THE FABRIC DEPARTMENT HAD BEEN CLEARED OUT AND NOTHING BUT PRE CUT- I did not buy any and in the future will not if it can be bought elsewhere. In fact if I can get anything anywhere else I will even if it means ordering. I feel that Walmart came in, ran the small stores out and thinks that we have to support Walmart. True, they use to have most anytyhing that a person would need, but not any more. We took their bait and ran with it. Sorry, but that is the way it is. I would not e-mail WM and ask them to reconsider opening fabric departments and do not know that I would support them if they do. I think they mean that fabric might go in a new built store. I feel that one of the well advertised fabric stores belongs to WM and that that is why they discontinued fabric at WMs.
    missbelle

Thanks for the info! Will take your advice. I protested loudly a few years ago when they started eliminating the department; our local store has a limited supply of what appears to be the most popular selections.

Thanks for the news, I just emailed them also, hope it helps bring it back

Ok, I just called and put in my 2 cents. He said they are currently phasing out all fabric but he would document my request to the stores I currently shop at which is Gainesville, Tx. and Ardmore, Ok. So all of you that shop here let your voice be heard. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam

ToucanSam, I know you're near me and would love to know which one has fabric! The one in DS only has the precuts, which are not really awful. I do miss the patterns and notions. Beware if they start to remodel, tho!

Way to go girl!!!! I am so proud of you. I have made myself a pest at my local Walmart and I email them regularly. We still have fabric and I pray that it remains that way. We need to unite on his board and send a collective message. Thanks for what you are doing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast