Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Fabric Good News

I e-mailed them, and got an obviously pre-packaged reply telling me how wonderful the new life-event celebrating dept was. I doubt any one read my e-mail or passed it on. I was trying to contact the local store manager, but it went to corporate, into the delete bin, no doubt.
    I do not shop at Wal-Mart any more. They just said goodbye to my $100 a week grocery and household purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14
    Here is the response I got from Walmart when I went to their site. So much for bringing back the fabric aisle in CT anyway......

Dear Janice,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care
    Same answer I got!!!

I'm right there with you, I'll start checking in at Walmart once in awhile.....Husband doesn't like how they drop prices for a very short time and then they go sky high again....Keep on sewing

It is like writing your congressman. You get a canned response because that is what the clerk is told to send. BUT, those are votes that are counted and at the end of the day someone will see the number that comes in. I think someone needs to point out to them that quilting is becoming a million dollar business and not just their grannie's hobby that they remember. Of course is they want some of the action, they need to provide a good product.

Speaking of W-M Today I was in one that had no fabric, so I went back to the bedding section and found (Mainstay)twin size flat sheets for [email protected] I have purchased these (at other WM's) for $4 or $5 each, so I bought up some. They are 200 thread count and I use them alot for quilt tops. (lots of yardage there) And they now come in lots of colors and prints.
    Since I give lots of my quilts to the foster kids program. I know they will like them as they are new and steardy.
    OH YES I found blades for my Friski rotary cutter. There were 5 in package for $13.95 :thumbup:
    Of course some places they may be more. or less.

My local walmart has fabric but I sure want it to stay that way. So I will do as you say.

Blog Entries
    good to hear i alway tell sale person please don,t remove fabrics from my walmart we have a super walmart

I have a question. Because I live in Canada, I am not sure which corporate headquarters I should contact. Can anyone help?

Our local WM is closing the fabric dept. I've been told the electronics dept., because it is more profitable, will be expanded into the space left by the closed fabric dept. Not sure if this is true.

The corporate headquarters is in Bentonville, Arkansas. There is an international division that operates from there.

Just a note,I work at a Wal-Mart in St Joseph. There's only 2 stores in St Joseph One already got rid of their fabrics and I was told they are remodeling our store in Feb and they are getting rid of the fabrics. What a shame as there is only one Joann's and a Hobby Lobby.
    I hope all of you let Wal-Mart know how much we need the fabrics!!
    Silly Sewer Sandi

Power Poster
    Very well said.

We lost our access to fabric at Walmart last year. There is no place in our town to purchase fabric. So it is an hour ride or order on line to get our fabric and supplies. What a waste, since this is a place where there are a lot of older people who quilt and sew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sew and Sew 2
    We lost our access to fabric at Walmart last year. There is no place in our town to purchase fabric. So it is an hour ride or order on line to get our fabric and supplies. What a waste, since this is a place where there are a lot of older people who quilt and sew.
    Deja Vue. Sounds like Palestine.

That is fantastic. I stopped doing regular shopping at Walmart when they discontinued the fabric. I used to make regular trips to get my fabric fixes and would spend lots of bucks there. I do a lot of scrap quilts and so their fabric is perfect for me. I am so happy to see fabric returning and hope they will consider adding it back to the older stores. We have one store in Ocala that has fabric, but it is 13 miles out and I only go once a week. I'd sure like to see the department return to what it was 20 years ago when it was a real fabric department. The crafts also were real crafts.... Needless to say, Walmart really destroyed a valuable part of the population - us quilters and crafters! I am emailing right now to add my vote to this project.

I emailed them 5 times and it did no good. They still took all the fabric out of the 2 WM's in this area. They never answered my emails. And I did call them, and spoke to someone about it. I don't shop there much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Lee
    I was just in our walmart and she said all fabric was 25% off. Don't know if thats in every store or not. I'm redoing my sewing room and have enough fabric to last me a life time. I restrained myself except for 2yards.
    That is the start. Go back in a few days and it will be at 50% off then a few days later it will be at 75% off. It happened at two different Walmarts in my area this summer.

Your information is very well put. Thank you for being willing to share with us. I for one will be online to Wally World first thing tomorrow. Thanx again

Dee
    Sent in a Email to corporate. Hope they listen to all of fabricholics out here. :D

Thanks SO much for the information. Our store is planning a remodeling in April, and our closest fabric store is over 40 miles away. I'm going to log on now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I will try this again. I shop very rarely in Wal-Mart since they removed the fabric. Thanks for posting.
    I hardly go there anymore either. I certainly will try a positive email. It can't hurt.

My friend was at WM lately and saw that their scrapbooking dept has been diminished and moved again. It seems they may be taking that out too. I just wonder if they would bring things back once they have removed them.

great idea , count me in

I live in lower De. We have two Wallies near us and they both took out all the fabric. I remember there was a petition that went around the web that was sent to Walmart that didn't help at all. We have 2 quilting stores near but the prices are $8.99 to $12.99 a yard. Whats worse is even they don't sell cloth to make clothing, curtains,costumes, etc. I make quilts but I do like to sew other things also.

our wal mart totally took out the fabric , no problem we had 3 other sourses. Disaster struck and two of those shut down within 2 months of each other. that was over a year ago its a very interesting trip for me to be able to get to the only one left. Then about a month ago i had to go to wally world for something i couldnt find anywhere else and they had put the fabric back in only precut but way better than nothing. Thank GOD for large and small blessings.

Blog Entries
    Since I do 99% of my shopping for everything at WM ( ours still carries fabrics) if I have to drive an hour away to buy fabric to use for clothing & home dec, as well as quilting. I'll just use our local hardware, pharmacy, & food chain stores that I used before WM came to town. I'm going to add up all my WM receipts for this years purchases so far and tell them that they will missing that amount of money from just one customer and for them to multiply that by the millions of customers that they could lose if they remove the fabrics from their stores. Sewing is not a dying craft in today's market. On the contrary, it has had a resurgence;

especially, in todays economic turmoil. Just look at all the publications that are out there and all the sewing blogs and websites

Thanks for starting this. I just sent my email, and I hope they get a million more. Spread the word!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast