Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Fabric Good News >

Walmart Fabric Good News

Walmart Fabric Good News

Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 AM

Did they ever read the number of signers on that big petition that began a few years back? Did that mean nothing?
http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
46861 have signed as of today................

We have one WalMart on the West side of Cincinnati that still has fabrics but no one is assigned to that department. It is one giant mess.

We have a new WalMart on the NorthEast side of Cincinnati that I am told DOES NOT have fabric.

I believe it was reported here than an organized picket line took place in Florida (If I am not mistaken) outside a WalMart and they refused to leave until the manager came out. He promised then the fabric dept would not be closed. Does anyone else remember that?

June in Cincinnati
Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by june6995
Did they ever read the number of signers on that big petition that began a few years back? Did that mean nothing?
http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
46861 have signed as of today................

I believe it was reported here than an organized picket line took place in Florida (If I am not mistaken) outside a WalMart and they refused to leave until the manager came out. He promised then the fabric dept would not be closed. Does anyone else remember that?

June in Cincinnati
I was told by a Walmart buyer if the store managers fought to keep the fabric it would still be sold. Most saw the fabric dept as a hassle and was glad to get rid of it.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 AM

I just called them and actually talked to a person (after pushing MANY buttons). Looks like no hope for our local Walmart (New Philadelphia OH) but I let her know the "new" arts and crafts center, or whatever she called it, was totally useless for a quilter. She said she would pass my concerns on for whatever that is worth.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 AM

Wonderful news !!!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 AM

I brought hundreds of dollars of fabric from Walmart. I e-mailed them a couple of years ago a number of times and got sewing and quilting friends to do the same to the effect "Please do not discontinue your fabric" after their employees began telling people that it was going to happen. Instead all of the Walmart stores within a hundred miles or more closed out and put in some kind of precut pieces, if anything, except the Walmart store in Pearl,Ms. I drove to Pearl a couple of months ago and went in the Walmart Store prepared to buy several pieces of fabric and guess what! - THE FABRIC DEPARTMENT HAD BEEN CLEARED OUT AND NOTHING BUT PRE CUT- I did not buy any and in the future will not if it can be bought elsewhere. In fact if I can get anything anywhere else I will even if it means ordering. I feel that Walmart came in, ran the small stores out and thinks that we have to support Walmart. True, they use to have most anytyhing that a person would need, but not any more. We took their bait and ran with it. Sorry, but that is the way it is. I would not e-mail WM and ask them to reconsider opening fabric departments and do not know that I would support them if they do. I think they mean that fabric might go in a new built store. I feel that one of the well advertised fabric stores belongs to WM and that that is why they discontinued fabric at WMs.
missbelle
Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the info! Will take your advice. I protested loudly a few years ago when they started eliminating the department; our local store has a limited supply of what appears to be the most popular selections.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the news, I just emailed them also, hope it helps bring it back
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Ok, I just called and put in my 2 cents. He said they are currently phasing out all fabric but he would document my request to the stores I currently shop at which is Gainesville, Tx. and Ardmore, Ok. So all of you that shop here let your voice be heard. :lol:
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
I was at walmart the other day and they are still adding bolts of fabric, saw some cute Halloween and Xmas stuff.

:)
ToucanSam, I know you're near me and would love to know which one has fabric! The one in DS only has the precuts, which are not really awful. I do miss the patterns and notions. Beware if they start to remodel, tho!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 AM

Way to go girl!!!! I am so proud of you. I have made myself a pest at my local Walmart and I email them regularly. We still have fabric and I pray that it remains that way. We need to unite on his board and send a collective message. Thanks for what you are doing.