Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Fabric Good News

WM has really downsized the fab depts around her PNW Wa and a few just closed it out , they need to bring it back with thei down economy.... we need to let them know 1-800-Walmart :9)
    ConnieF

I took your advice and called Walmart and let my feelings be known. I was so inspired I called Trader Joe, also. Their only store is quite a distance from me and my friends and we would like a store nearer to us. Hope it works!

I took your advice and called Walmart and let my feelings be known. I was so inspired I called Trader Joe, also. Their only store is quite a distance from me and my friends and we would like a store nearer to us. Hope it works!

I'm heartbroken to say that my Walmart in Waukegan, IL has already taken the fabric section out of their store. I used to go there at least once a week. I wish they'd bring it back

There isn't a Wal-Mart near by but this information will be such good news to many quilters out there. Thanks for the posting.

When our DD's were little, I would go alone to walmart for my groceries, etc. at midnight, since DH would be home with them. That was "my time" to look at the fabric and pattern books as well as stress free grocery shopping. :) I use to make a lot of their clothes with matching fabric, even though they were 3 years apart. At that time the dollar fabric tables as well as the bolt prices at walmart looked pretty good. :)

Blog Entries
    I contacted Walmart customer service and they said new and some remodeled stores are getting Celebration of Life in them.They will not have bolt fabric because the demand is not high. Not a very satisfying answer as we have a new one opening in Sept. OH WELL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew and Sew 2
    We lost our access to fabric at Walmart last year. There is no place in our town to purchase fabric. So it is an hour ride or order on line to get our fabric and supplies. What a waste, since this is a place where there are a lot of older people who quilt and sew.
    Deja Vue. Sounds like Palestine.
    same with me, although WM has a small amt of fabric, not sure how long that will last though

What exactly is a "from the ground up" store? This is awesome news that we ALL need to support by making that call. The expensive shops will never go away, and we wouldn't want them to, but at least this would give us more options and makes quilting do-able cost-wise for more people.

Blog Entries
    Now that is what I like to hear! You bet, support is it!

Blog Entries
    ground up is when the store is being built.

Thanks for this tip. I sent an email to headquarters. :)

Patti

I emailed Walmart. Thought maybe contacting both by phone and email might do some good. I don't know. We'll see. I think contacting our quilter and seamstress friends that aren't on this board would add to the ones contacting them.

I believe contacts are never wasted. We never know when they can reach a tipping point and something gets accomplished. I bet there has never been a department deleted that generated so much opposition. It might be a good thing to point out to any living person who will listen that quilting and sewing is very big business. Tell every manager you see. They do take this information to their district managers, and then it works its way up to store planning. Thank you for all of your responses.

I called a rep yesterday, she was very sympathetic to our cause, but, we shall see!

Blog Entries
    What great news! I'm so glad to hear this since Walmart only place here in our town who carries material. If they should take it out here we would have to travel at least 50 miles to buy it . Thanks for the info. I will defintely e-mail them.

Blog Entries
    I emailed Corporate and congratulated them on a good decision. Also encouraged them to return the fabric departments to the older stores. Hopefully we can sway their thinking!

Blog Entries
    I emailed Corporate and congratulated them on a good decision. Also encouraged them to return the fabric departments to the older stores. Hopefully we can sway their thinking!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I already sent a email to them, as we have a wal mart opening in Sept. Now if I could just get SSS I would be set. God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Did they ever read the number of signers on that big petition that began a few years back? Did that mean nothing?
    http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
    46861 have signed as of today................

We have one WalMart on the West side of Cincinnati that still has fabrics but no one is assigned to that department. It is one giant mess.

We have a new WalMart on the NorthEast side of Cincinnati that I am told DOES NOT have fabric.

I believe it was reported here than an organized picket line took place in Florida (If I am not mistaken) outside a WalMart and they refused to leave until the manager came out. He promised then the fabric dept would not be closed. Does anyone else remember that?

June in Cincinnati
    47000 is not very many people, considering that there are 1500 stores in the US in the 80s.( I didn't find current numbers for just the US) That makes an average of 30 people per store that are interested in fabrics.

Walmart is all about sales per square foot, and not only does the fabric dept probably sell less, but also has the higher cost of an employee that would have to staff the area. Just think, they pay someone 10 per hour, and it takes say 15 minutes to serve you. It just cost them 2.50, and the sale could be a just yard of that 1$ fabric. On top of that, the cutting table takes up space that could be used for more product. I don't see how they could really justify bringing it back the way it used to be. They are all about the bottom line.

This is good news. My Walmart has fabric and other notions. They had told me awhile back that they were doing away with that dept. But now I am going to voice my desire for them to continue carrying fabric. Thanks...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    I already sent a email to them, as we have a wal mart opening in Sept. Now if I could just get SSS I would be set. God bless. Penny

Penny, it took my DH 4 years and 3 appeals and going to court to get his disability. We went thru everything we had for retirement and him being unable to work before they finally gave it to him. What ever you do, keep appealing. They like to weed out by not approving people and it seems that only those that stay persistant get disability. Good luck to you.

I just cut and pasted this link and sent a message to Walmart at walmart.com to let them know how disappointed I am in losing our fabric department recently and that the pre-folds won't work for what we want. I know since they no longer have fabric that I don't go in the store as often. I'm finding other stores that have the other things at the same or cheaper prices and am staying away from the store more. So there, TAKE THAT WALMART!!!!! If you return the fabric department, I'll be back!!

Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    That would be really great! I'm lucky enough that my WM still carries fabric. I just found some very nice quality VIP prints there for 4.94 a yard. The same type of fabric at the hancock's here would cost much more.
    Same here in SW MN. Our local WM underwent a remodel a couple of years ago, and the fabric department manager asked all of her customers to send requests to keep the fabrics...It worked, because we can still get fabric there. The department is a little smaller, but there's a lot packed into it! They've even added some batiks...and do have some nice quilting cottons in the $4.44 - $4.94 range. Some of the $2/yd fabric is also quite nice.

Thank you for the positive feedback about requests. They can never hurt. They ARE counted by category and noted. The response is "canned" but they do matter. Every vote counts. If we remain silent and only complain to each other, nothing will be accomplished. They just haven't gotten the clue that quilting has become big business and they definitely do care if we vote with our pocketbooks. We go in for a yard of fabric and leave the store with a cart full of groceries.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast