Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart and Fabric >

Walmart and Fabric

Walmart and Fabric

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM

our walmart went to precuts also last year, wished they would get the fabric dept. back. Its really looks like they sell a lot of fabric, the fat quarters are always wiped out when i go in and there is always new precuts, which means they must sell.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I noticed the single fat quarters sold at our Walmart went up in price. Now they are $1.27 each.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Swap Hosts

The two Walmarts near us used to have very large fabric departments. They were considerably reduced, but I think that enough people complained and now they're back, although with not as much floor space as before.

The formerly large departments had a huge section with bargain fabrics - some as little as $1/yard! I really miss that, but if you dig a bit, you can still find fabric for $2.50/yd as mentioned.

I still chuckle over this, but at one point there was never anyone around to cut the fabric. One night there was a pile up of people waiting for over 40 minutes! I picked up the phone at the cutting table several times during this and asked them to send someone. Finally, I told them that we were all cutting our own fabric. Well, they showed up fast and in a panic!

A couple of weeks ago we were again faced with no one to cut. This time a nice lady from another department came by. She cut the fabric and pulled stickers out of a draw and just wrote the price per yard x yards. I returned a week later and no one was around, so I did it myself. (No I didn't give myself any bonus yardage!)

Still better than Joann, but I mostly use Joann for lace fabric. A good bargain when you have coupons.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Our Walmart, condensed our fabric dept considerably. Last time I was in there, they had bins with $5.00 fabric, it was not cotton. Then they had tables with flannel. They had had precut, however, it was not selling at all! People that were there were complaining about the precuts. They had an aisle that they had widdened and they have a cutting area, with fabric bolts on both sides. Mainly childrens patterns. Where they had yarn all across the back, was almost empty, so was threads and a few other items. There was the choice between 2 sewing machines and 1 box. So, I don't know if they are moving it to make it bigger or getting rid of it. I have written and gotten same response from them, so I just don't go there anymore. It's a 45 min drive one way. I will make good with what I have now and the plans for such and get more fabric either when I visit the grandbabies or online. Walmart has lost my business...Have not been there in almost a year
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM

That's great. Are Walmart just took there's out. I got some great deals on fabrics at 50 and 75% off.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 AM

I am still counting my blessings that our walmart still has fabric...you really have to watch the sales because the good fabric goes quick....but yesterday all the easter fabric was marked down to .79 & .84 a yard...yep spent 22.00 for approx 29 yards...those prices are just unheard of...I was a happy sewer...lol